First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

Next setting of eggs in the incubator will be ducks according to my better half !!!
woot.gif

Hmmmm...most ducks take the same time as turkeys, so you could do some of each!

I've lost the resistance battle with the Turkey Hatchathon vortex....
vil-dindon2.gif
.......I contacted Franzen Farms, a reasonable drive from me, and will be picking up 6-8 Bourbon Red Turkey eggs on Good Friday to set for this hatchathon. I've been saying I'm going to try and hatch some turkeys for a while (tried it two years ago with a broody but the eggs weren't fertile) so.........here I am.............

I'm in........pming Renee now..........

edited to fix typo...up too late!

Last edited:
I've lost the resistance battle with the Turkey Hatchathon vortex....
vil-dindon2.gif
.......I contacted Franzen Farms, a reasonable drive from me, and will be picking up 6-8 Bourbon Red Turkey eggs on Good Friday to set for this hatchathon. I've been saying I'm going to try and hatch some turkeye for a while (tried it two years ago with a broody but the eggs weren't fertile) so.........here I am.............

I'm in........pming Renee now..........

Hahahahaha!!! Welcome to the madness! LOVE the smiley!

I want to so bad! I had a turkey my first year raising chickens and Tom was the coolest pet you'd ever eat.....uh I mean meat....meet! The DW doesn't want another turkey cuz it's like having another dog pooping in your yard. BUT THEY ARE SO COOL! Are turkey eggs much bigger than chicken eggs? Maybe I could get some and claim they are Jersey Giants? I'm gonna keep working on it. What happens if I have late hatchers from the easter day hatch?

You just put them in with the late hatchers and wait to clean. Then when all of your hatchers are done, you take them out, put them between two folded towels to rest without losing much heat, and clean and sterilize your incubator as fast as you can. Plug it back in and let it warm up, then put the eggs back in. Don't put them in while it's not warm, as it will cool them down.

You just put them in with the late hatchers and wait to clean. Then when all of your hatchers are done, you take them out, put them between two folded towels to rest without losing much heat, and clean and sterilize your incubator as fast as you can. Plug it back in and let it warm up, then put the eggs back in. Don't put them in while it's not warm, as it will cool them down.

Quite the enabler...............oh wait, I'm already on the list and driving two hours each way to pickup eggs this weekend.

Deb

Thats really neat to see a turkey hatch along!! I only have two BBB hens and no boy. They are in love with the blue copper marans roosters and keep following them around trying to get them to mate with them but they ain't having it LOL!! I need to find them a blue turkey male cuz they hate all the roosters but the blue ones...crazy girls. If I can find a male or some eggs I might join.

So...sort of related.....what's the process to clean/sanitize a styrobator?

Don't count me out just yet. Do you folks find it very hard to sell your poults? I wouldn't keep more than 2. I have an idea on how I can get some free eggs. I just have to call and old friend that I just remembered have turkeys.....or at least use to. If my memory serves me right they were Burbon Reds.

Quite the enabler...............oh wait, I'm already on the list and driving two hours each way to pickup eggs this weekend.

Deb

lau.gif
Pot...meet kettle!!!

Thats really neat to see a turkey hatch along!! I only have two BBB hens and no boy. They are in love with the blue copper marans roosters and keep following them around trying to get them to mate with them but they ain't having it LOL!! I need to find them a blue turkey male cuz they hate all the roosters but the blue ones...crazy girls. If I can find a male or some eggs I might join.

I do believe someone on here has blues...hatch yourself a boy!!

Don't count me out just yet. Do you folks find it very hard to sell your poults? I wouldn't keep more than 2. I have an idea on how I can get some free eggs. I just have to call and old friend that I just remembered have turkeys.....or at least use to. If my memory serves me right they were Burbon Reds.

I generally just take off the lid and spray that down with bleachwater, or Oxine water, or Nix-It. I avoid spraying the control box, and don't even bother to unplug it.

I lay it open side down so the styrofoam remains warm so the warm up isn't so long.

I put the bottom, wire rack and all, in my bathtub and scrub it down with hot water, soap, and a scrub brush to reach all the nooks and crannies. I then rinse it with hot water and tap it so as much moisture as possible drains off, then mist it down with bleach water. If I'm not going right back to incubating, I will let it air dry in the sun (far away from chickens, who think incubators are delicious!) but if I'm incubating, I'll tap it dry again and wait impatiently until it's mostly dry and put it back into use.

I've never tried to sell poults, but I imagine they'll be easy to sell.

Last edited:

There are probably a dozen way to get this done and done well. I just use bleach and water mixed together in a spray bottle that I got at the dollar store. I spray it down real good and let it set to free up the remnants. then wipe it out with paper towels. Then spritz it down with the bleach water and let it dry.

Back
Top Bottom