First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

I'm an on the rocks, no salt with a Grand Marnier float kinda girl.

thumbsup.gif

Deb

woot.gif
Count me in X 10! well, OK X 2. I can't put it away like I used too.

I'm guessing the same as meconium during a human birth. Here's a link you can read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meconium_aspiration_syndrome

Deb
Probably where the pnuemonia came from. Unfortunately sometimes mothers know when a baby won't thrive and will conserve her resources for the ones that will. I hope some human intervantion will turn it around for him!

Quote:
I'm an on the rocks, no salt with a Grand Marnier float kinda girl.

thumbsup.gif

Deb
Except for the salt, we're amazingly similar in margarita tastes. I do like the salt. But yah, on the rocks in a nice hefty whatever those glasses are called (stocky, no stem) with the Grand Marnier float! Too bad I read this at 0735 in my cubicle!!!

I'm joining this really, REALLY late because I only just got turkey eggs on Monday and didn't see the hatch-a-long until after I had set them. So I know I'm going to be way behind any other hatchers but this will be my first time with turkeys, so I'm enjoying reading along to learn a little about them as I go.

I set 10 Royal Palm eggs, and at the last minute, the (local) guy I bought them from, threw in a couple of Muscovy eggs. I haven't had ducks since I was a kid either, so have a lot to learn about raising them, I'm sure. I'm a little nervous about incubating the two types of eggs together. Luckily the incubation times are the same but....don't duck eggs need a higher humidity than turkeys?

I'm joining this really, REALLY late because I only just got turkey eggs on Monday and didn't see the hatch-a-long until after I had set them. So I know I'm going to be way behind any other hatchers but this will be my first time with turkeys, so I'm enjoying reading along to learn a little about them as I go.

I set 10 Royal Palm eggs, and at the last minute, the (local) guy I bought them from, threw in a couple of Muscovy eggs. I haven't had ducks since I was a kid either, so have a lot to learn about raising them, I'm sure. I'm a little nervous about incubating the two types of eggs together. Luckily the incubation times are the same but....don't duck eggs need a higher humidity than turkeys?

Your muscovy eggs with take 35 days to hatch instead of 28. It will work out well for you since the higher humidity of lockdown for the turkey eggs will not hurt the duck eggs. I've seen people here on BYC incubate them together but I never have.....hopefully someone will chime in on it.

So glad you're joining us, H!!

I can't answer on the ducks w/turkeys, but you and I may have hatches on the same day since I set a second set from Denny yesterday.

I bumped the knob on my home-made incubator yesterday, and it went to 110*. I found out hours after I had last been home and the eggs were hot to the touch, and at least 2 dozen chicken eggs that had happily been swimming along yesterday morning are DEAD. No evidence of veining at all, big black blobs. I'm gutted.

Fortunately, I had put my most promising turkey and geese into the rcom prior, so those are still going. I'll also have a couple of chicks hatch thereabouts as I stole some from under a broody and had put them into the rcom, since I traded her for guineas about to hatch (I'm so mean! What self-respecting chicken would raise guineas??). I now have to totally start from scratch on the stabilization of this cabinet I'd built, as I wasn't clever enough to mark where the knob OUGHT to be and have to find that spot again. I'm putting everything left alive (or too early to tell) in an LG or two. SUX.

I think I'm going to go to Wichita tomorrow to get a Sportsman. I'm looking for rock-solid, walk-away love, and I can't afford an rcom that big. I'm just not sure how I'll fit it into my Monte Carlo Medicare sleigh.

Heather, shall I set the most recent pea egg for you? Or shall I wait until I have a few?

AWESOME ghetto m**garitas:

1 can frozen Limeade
1 bottle of b**r (malted adult beverage)
Bo*ze

Take the limeade, 1 can of ice, and your bo*ze (including your triple sec, etc.) and run them in the blender. Add the b**r. Serve.

Sounds disgusting, and I thought my friend had lost her wits when she served it, but it was the BEST I'd had outside of an awesome Mexican restaurant I adore, where the owners are new to this side of the border. I grew up in southern Arizona and appreciate a different level of Mexican food. MMMMMMMMmmmmmm.

They make me take shots of the smooooooothest on my birthday and slap a sombrero on my head, too!!

Last edited:
Your muscovy eggs with take 35 days to hatch instead of 28. It will work out well for you since the higher humidity of lockdown for the turkey eggs will not hurt the duck eggs. I've seen people here on BYC incubate them together but I never have.....hopefully someone will chime in on it.
Oh my, where is that embarrassed face smiley when you need it. Here we go:
hide.gif
hide.gif
hide.gif
hide.gif
hide.gif
How could I not have known that? I just always thought that chickens took 21 days and most everything else - turkeys, ducks, guineas etc., took 28. Are Muscovy's different than other ducks, or do all duck eggs take 35?

I do feel better though, knowing the added humidity won't hurt the duck eggs, and after the turkeys have hatched, I can raise the humidity a tad higher until the duck eggs lockdown as well.

Heather, shall I set the most recent pea egg for you? Or shall I wait until I have a few?

Whatever works best for you! We have the dog pen set up in a great location, and Gary put a tarp over it. It gets lots of shade from a building on one side and a huge tree on the other, and is located where Penelope will be able to see all the goings on - people and horses walking past, Percival strutting around, and so on. They are all really excited. Percy has been doing lots of calling lately. We used to only hear him honking when he was annoyed but perhaps because its Spring and he's hoping to call a peahen to him, he is calling a lot. Actually, wouldn't that be great if he successfully called in a peahen to be his mate?

AWESOME ghetto m**garitas:

1 can frozen Limeade
1 bottle of b**r (malted adult beverage)
Bo*ze

Take the limeade, 1 can of ice, and your bo*ze (including your triple sec, etc.) and run them in the blender. Add the b**r. Serve.

Sounds disgusting, and I thought my friend had lost her wits when she served it, but it was the BEST I'd had outside of an awesome Mexican restaurant I adore, where the owners are new to this side of the border. I grew up in southern Arizona and appreciate a different level of Mexican food. MMMMMMMMmmmmmm.
Oh no - that sounds wonderful to me. I too like real Mexican food better than the Tex-Mex that is more commonly served. I am making a note of this recipe to try this out!

woot.gif
Count me in X 10! well, OK X 2. I can't put it away like I used too.

Probably where the pnuemonia came from. Unfortunately sometimes mothers know when a baby won't thrive and will conserve her resources for the ones that will. I hope some human intervantion will turn it around for him!

Well, I guess mom knew best. He's no longer with us. I want to thank everyone for all of their help and support. He was the smallest when they were born, half the size of the largest. Yesterday he was half the size of the middle one. She is a good mom, she is taking very good care of the others. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom