First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

My standard bronze hen had gender issues until I got her a boyfriend. She would strut and display and her head would change colors. This all stopped though when she got her boyfriend.

My BR that is a month older from this hatchalong has no red in the white parts of her wings and tail, and she has very dark brown legs. She puffs up but I've never heard her gobble ever. She hates being approached by the RP toms, even when they're just inspecting the fence near her and shies away immediately. The younger BR is almost the same color and size, but is just a bit smaller and has a faint red in her wing and tail whites, similar to your pics, NotAFarm.

Neither BR has a snood any larger than that of your tom in that pic from above them both where the band at the end of his tail is clear, but one is a month older than the other, so the younger could be a fellow who just isn't as mature...I just don't know!! I think the back feathers of the younger have a bit of a dark edge, though, so there's hope that one is a fellow. I'm impatient and with their secondary sexual characteristics were more pronounced!!! Sheeesh!!!

Renee I would think that any boys that you have from this hatch would be gobbling by now but I am not an expert. I know that the two black spanish that I hatched are definitely boys. They display, gobble and when they are displaying their heads will turn blue and their necks will turn very red. The snood does extend quite a way when they are displaying as well. I don't know if this helps a whole bunch.

I went out and took some pics this afternoon to try and get them side by side where the differences are more apparent. Here is the best pic I got to illustrate:

The tom is on the left. As you can see, the dangly bit under his neck is larger and curves round/down whereas the hen's is smaller and not rounded. You can also see how much more black he has. Since I only have the two, I don't know if this can be explained by individuality but do have a friend with RP's who commented that her toms have more black so I think perhaps it does indicate gender difference.

Regarding gobbling, mine mostly does not gobble when I go to see him. I am part of the scenery and not worthy of such attention apparently. But when I take someone new down to visit, that is when he will start gobbling like crazy. Renee, perhaps a friend or family member they aren't familiar with, could go and visit with you and see if any of the toms start up then?

I went out and took some pics this afternoon to try and get them side by side where the differences are more apparent. Here is the best pic I got to illustrate:

The tom is on the left. As you can see, the dangly bit under his neck is larger and curves round/down whereas the hen's is smaller and not rounded. You can also see how much more black he has. Since I only have the two, I don't know if this can be explained by individuality but do have a friend with RP's who commented that her toms have more black so I think perhaps it does indicate gender difference.

Regarding gobbling, mine mostly does not gobble when I go to see him. I am part of the scenery and not worthy of such attention apparently. But when I take someone new down to visit, that is when he will start gobbling like crazy. Renee, perhaps a friend or family member they aren't familiar with, could go and visit with you and see if any of the toms start up then?

That side by side is a much better comparison picture, thank you for getting that for me. I think both of mine are girls, still. I have heard no gobbling.

My three toms don't gobble at visitors at all, rather they are quiet and just slide up for a closer visit. A rare visitor will get a ceremonial drumming of feet on feet.

My younger group of 5 , about 2 months old, have 2 larger birds and three smaller. @ boys and 3 girls? Not sure. DId see a couple boys swinging heads and snaking necks around each other--that I would expect from only boys. Wish I had tagged them at the time.

Last edited:
I'm way behind in this conversation since I haven't been able to post. I wasn't able to quote anyway
idunno.gif

I'll be glad when November gets here. I've 8 young toms that have been constantly brawling with each other the past couple weeks. In the top picture there are 3 females - can you pick them out?

I certainly hope whomever that flock is headed for moves fast, or they're in trouble!!
I'm way behind in this conversation since I haven't been able to post. I wasn't able to quote anyway
idunno.gif

I'll be glad when November gets here. I've 8 young toms that have been constantly brawling with each other the past couple weeks. In the top picture there are 3 females - can you pick them out?

They are actually pretty friendly - obnoxiously so in fact. They did find my 3 year old niece wandering far from the "pack" once though, and were making kind of threatening gestures. I bawled my brother out for letting her get away from him. That would have been awful if it had gotten out of hand!

This is one of my late hatches:

I'm not sure if it's male or female yet, it was hatched by a broody in July. Mother is a slate hen, father probably the Spanish Black rather than the Narragansett. So it's a black slate?

Back
Top Bottom