first batch of cornish x ready to cook

kacappi

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi

Since this is the freshest chicken ive ever had to cook...any help on best way to have it for dinner?

Since this is the freshest chicken ive ever had to cook...any help on best way to have it for dinner?
How many weeks old were they? The wife cooks fryers in the oven set at 350 on bake for about one hour. Just puts the pieces on a cookie sheet and gives them a good coating of Italian salad dressing then cook away. Let me know when supper is ready ha ha.

Ok sounds great im gonna try that. We have never done meat chickens before so im terribly excited to try it. I appreciate the idea.

Oh by the way they were 7 weeks. We are going out of town soon and were afraid to leave them till we got back because they were getting so big...our neighbor feeds and waters for us we just were afraid they wouldnt last...i have heard they die of heart attacks with so much weight...still learning lol but we got a bunch of meat!

Its great to raise your own food. We used to butcher three quarters of ours at around 8 weeks and keep the rest till around 12 weeks. They make really good roasters
when they are a bit bigger. Let me know how they taste.

The most important part of the recipe is LET THE BIRD REST IN YOUR FRIDGE FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS before you cook it! This will ensure a tender bird by letting rigor pass and the muscles relax.

My favorite way is to roast in the oven uncovered for 3 hours at 350 degrees. Rub with olive oil sprinkle with a little rubbed thyme or marjoram. Place breast side up in a roasting pan and put a few pats of butter on the breast meat.

You'll know it's ready when the legs move easily in the sockets.

If you can stand to leave the crispy deliciousness alone for ten minutes, let it rest on the counter while you finish up the rest of supper-fixin's. It will be super moist.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom