First Death: What to Do?

Dreammaker

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
MA
Folks... It's with much sadness that I announce the death of my chicken. The first one to die. She was a Lt. Brahma named Nellie. I suspect she had a heart attack, maybe brought about the heat, which she always hated. She'd been having off and on thin shells too, so I think she just had some vulnerabilities overall. She made it to just over 2 years old.

I'm 32 weeks pregnant and faced with the horrendously sad and gruesome task of burying her in 90 degree heat while somehow watching after 3 young kids on a day my husband is stuck in the office an hour away by train. My dad is coming over to help. I feel just awful. I feel guilty, sad, annoyed, just exhausted. I knew this was a reality, but it just sucks.

Sorry, Nellie. You were a good lady and had a great life while it lasted. I'll always remember how heavy you were compared to your flock mates. How you stood on the feeder to greet me each day. Rest easy, girl.

Folks... It's with much sadness that I announce the death of my chicken. The first one to die. She was a Lt. Brahma named Nellie. I suspect she had a heart attack, maybe brought about the heat, which she always hated. She'd been having off and on thin shells too, so I think she just had some vulnerabilities overall. She made it to just over 2 years old.

I'm 32 weeks pregnant and faced with the horrendously sad and gruesome task of burying her in 90 degree heat while somehow watching after 3 young kids on a day my husband is stuck in the office an hour away by train. My dad is coming over to help. I feel just awful. I feel guilty, sad, annoyed, just exhausted. I knew this was a reality, but it just sucks.

Sorry, Nellie. You were a good lady and had a great life while it lasted. I'll always remember how heavy you were compared to your flock mates. How you stood on the feeder to greet me each day. Rest easy, girl.
:hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugsI am so sorry, it is heartbreaking to lose any "animal " some times something is able to be done to help/save them and other times there's nothing that could've been done.

:hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugsI am so sorry, it is heartbreaking to lose any "animal " some times something is able to be done to help/save them and other times there's nothing that could've been done.
Thank you ❤️ It was sudden and without warning, so I strongly suspect heart attack. She was fine yesterday and though I didn't check this AM (was so busy with the kids), I didn't hear or see anything amiss from just glancing out. No predator or injury. I'm not in a financial or mental place to do an autopsy. The others are fine, so far, but solemn. I'm going to have my husband give them all a good once over to make sure it doesn't look like illness. The reality is that Lt Brahmas aren't designed for heat, which can be oppressive here in the summer. For my sanity, I need to just assume it was one of those sudden freak deaths.

It could be any number of causes, particularly egg related. Nobody's fault, but very sad.

I would be living in a pet cemetery if I buried every deceased chicken in my small garden over all the years I have kept them, so I wrap mine in an old pillowcase and put into an empty feed sack and then into the trash. That might seem heartless, but I say a few words and a thank you to the bird before they go. It's just practical disposal of a body they no longer inhabit. Appreciate you might not want to do that, but with 3 children and being pregnant, I thought I'd offer another option.

It could be any number of causes, particularly egg related. Nobody's fault, but very sad.

I would be living in a pet cemetery if I buried every deceased chicken in my small garden over all the years I have kept them, so I wrap mine in an old pillowcase and put into an empty feed sack and then into the trash. That might seem heartless, but I say a few words and a thank you to the bird before they go. It's just practical disposal of a body they no longer inhabit. Appreciate you might not want to do that, but with 3 children and being pregnant, I thought I'd offer another option.
Thank you. I've always thought her reproductive health was wonky and I know that can be a culprit. I had intended to triple bag and have her disposed in the trash, tbh, but of course, the trash company already came and went. I know it sounds awful to some, but in my mind, she's gone; her memories are what counts. Not to mention avoiding predators in our semi rural neighborhood. We'll bury her a couple feet deep covered with rocks and a large stone paver, so her scent is hopefully well-masked. It's the ugly, awful side of chicken-keeping, but it has to be done. It's better than living a life of a battery hen. I just try to remind myself of the fun she'd had recently, like free ranging in the evening while we hung out in the yard and eating fresh herbs from the garden.

Appreciate everyone's kind and sensitive responses. In the days ahead, I plan on (having my husband do this):

Rake up the run (purely to get rid of her feathers and to give some semblance of a fresh start)

Clean out the nesting boxes (one smelled a bit funky, likely because of a broken egg that she probably laid, though I didn't see her shell)

Turn bedding and top up with fresh shavings

Top up food and water, while checking for signs of mold, etc.

Give the other girls a once-over.

Is there anything else we should do? I see no signs of predators and the other birds are fine, so far.

Back
Top Bottom