The nest box height looks fine to me too. Ours are 12”X12” but I’ve never measured the height. I had no idea chickens actually stand up to lay eggs until I caught one in the act!
I have a Welsummer and 2 Buff Orpingtons now, and had a Cuckoo Marans until he other girls drove her away. They all lay beautiful eggs 🥰
Thank you! I was worried my coop was potentially made for bantams instead of standards. The lady I bought it from said it would fit 12 chickens, but now that my girls have grown up I think only maybe 8 hens would fit on the roosting bar. For this reason (and because I saw Juillet standing in one), I questioned whether or not the nesting boxes would be comfortable for my flock. Glad to know yours are (I think) similar in size and perfectly functional! I will get back to you all with the size asap. I hope my girls lay beautiful eggs too someday! ❤️

They are all absolutely GORGEOUS girls! Aout is particularly stunning, wow!

My 8 pullets (7 different breeds) didn't start laying till September (spring babies) and the first strong cues were red combs and then squatting (especially by the shy, flighty girls, who were suddenly fine with being petted and picked up: "Please be my rooster!" Raging hormones, my husband laughed.)

The pubic bone spread was very tell-tale! But as Aart noted, once I started finding them messing around and hanging out in the previously-ignored nest boxes, eggs soon followed. [They're just starting to slow down a bit as we lose daylight, 4-5 eggs a day vs. 7 or 8.]

Hope to hear that your girls start laying soon!
Thank you so much! Août is a joy! She’s a good girl who has a cautious, older sister sort of personality, doesn’t demand attention, but still likes a cuddle from time to time. She’s always been the beauty queen of the flock, though my husband (who also thinks she’s the prettiest) somehow also thinks she looks like a conquistador, lol. I personally think she has chain mail rather than a breastplate, but I can see it 🤣

Here’s a quick Août slideshow:

7AE597FE-5815-4732-B58E-9470B0F36C2A.jpeg
0F0A6826-D80F-4CE9-8C30-D9415EF1BBE5.jpeg
BEECFCAE-131E-479A-B573-2161EADB5EE5.jpeg
913F89B5-FF06-4733-A992-69D383359213.jpeg 6DA83BB3-532D-4534-BE96-377DC48D91E4.jpeg

I will definitely update with egg photos when they do lay. Thank you very much for sharing your experience and kind wishes! 🥰

Pics and dimensions would be good.
12" cube is a standard, smaller can work, a bit bigger is better IMO.
Turning around before laying, especially new layers, is standard but 'bending' the tail a bit isn't a deal breaker.
Mine are 14 x 14 x 16 tall.
Did you know that they will almost stand upright as the egg actually emerges?

My sick cat did well last night (yay!), so I had time to measure the egg box. The dimensions are 10” wide, 13” deep, and it varies from 11” tall at the back to 16” tall at the front.

5782CFAD-E86B-4D24-B4CF-033394BDD360.jpeg

There are six boxes, and this coop really can’t hold more than 7-8 standard hens. If bigger is better, should I try removing one of these dividers to give them the option of one big nest box, and see how popular it is?

My sick cat did well last night (yay!), so I had time to measure the egg box. The dimensions are 10” wide, 13” deep, and it varies from 11” tall at the back to 16” tall at the front.

View attachment 3683509

There are six boxes, and this coop really can’t hold more than 7-8 standard hens. If bigger is better, should I try removing one of these dividers to give them the option of one big nest box, and see how popular it is?
We have a few about those measurements, then down on the end we have one big one probably the equivalent of 3 of them. We did that because these silkies want to sleep in the nest boxes so we gave them a giant one and they use it, but still go lay in the nest boxes too. 😳 Rarely do they lay in that big one, but they have. I beat them at their own game and put horse pellets in all of them. They didn't mind! Dang chickens! Well, at least I have cleaner eggs now and the only maintenance is stirring them once a week or so.

We have a few about those measurements, then down on the end we have one big one probably the equivalent of 3 of them. We did that because these silkies want to sleep in the nest boxes so we gave them a giant one and they use it, but still go lay in the nest boxes too. 😳 Rarely do they lay in that big one, but they have. I beat them at their own game and put horse pellets in all of them. They didn't mind! Dang chickens! Well, at least I have cleaner eggs now and the only maintenance is stirring them once a week or so.
Interesting, thanks for sharing! We use horse pellets for our cat box, so we always have some around. I may have to try them in the nest box!

View attachment 3683509

The boxes should work as is. Six boxes is excessive so it wouldn't hurt to remove 1 divider and make 1 wider box (or rearrange dividers and make four 15" wide boxes instead of six 10" wides), but who knows if they'll prefer that or the smaller ones.

The boxes should work as is. Six boxes is excessive so it wouldn't hurt to remove 1 divider and make 1 wider box (or rearrange dividers and make four 15" wide boxes instead of six 10" wides), but who knows if they'll prefer that or the smaller ones.
Ditto Dat.

Also might want to add a higher front to nest(4-6" above bedding), and pack down the bedding... tho they will likely tear it up at first, that will subside as they get used to laying.
A fake egg in each nest might also be good.

Thank you! I like the idea of making 4 boxes! My husband and I were discussing that this morning. We may leave one small box and then break the rest of the space into 3 larger boxes, so they have options.

Back
Top Bottom