First go at chickens - now looking at free range

A little over a year ago, I posted a thread about getting some chickens. That thread can be found here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/870643/first-go-at-chickens-a-few-questions

In that thread, I had questions about several things, and I got some good answers. The difference between now and then is that we are living on the five acre property and we are seriously thinking about chickens again. We have not gotten around to it yet. I have a friend that works at an auction, and he suggested several things. I mentioned my lack of interest in a coop and he mentioned just going with free range chickens.

He told me that they will roost in the trees at night and the rooster will protect the hens. He suggested starting with a rooster and a few hens, and just see how it goes. I'd rather do this, because I don't want to worry with a coop. Here's how this will go - your chickens will roost in the trees at night for maybe a few weeks, or if you're lucky - a few months. Then they will be found by raccoons, owls, bobcats and whatever other creatures you have there that roam around at night. The coons will take a whole bird. They likely won't kill them swiftly and humanely, they'll just eat them bit by bit. If you have great horned owls, they'll pop your chickens' heads off. (I learned that lesson the hard way - I had chickens that roosted in the trees at night, and I started finding headless chicken bodies under the trees.) On the upside, maybe the coyotes or bobcats would clean up the bodies before you got up in the morning. If you got a rooster, it would not be protecting your hens at night as chickens are basically helpless in the dark.

The biggest concern I have is what kinds of predators will be drawn in. In the thread from a year ago, I mentioned having a blue tick coon hound. We have since given her to a family member, but now we have a small miniature Australian shepherd. She only ways about 13 lbs. We let her go out in the big yard occasionally (most of the barb wire fenced five acres), but when we do we are usually with her. She normally goes out in the smaller part of the fenced yard unsupervised. This smaller fence is probably about 1/4 acre and has three sides attached to the house. The fence is hog wire though, so chickens would not be able to be kept in it. I'd probably have to add chicken wire if I expected the chickens to stay inside this smaller fence.

The reason I mentioned our mini aussie is because I'm worried about predators coming into the yard and possibly going after her too. She is small and not any type of dog to defend herself, so hawks or coyotes concern me.

As far as just having the chickens free range, will they stay? They'll stay around until they get eaten by something. I 'm just trying to figure out how they will stay if they don't really have any incentive to. Should we feed them daily in the same spot so they know there is a meal everyday for them?

One last question. What exactly is a game chicken? I don't know the difference between a game chicken / rooster vs. the other types? Why is a game chicken more suited for free range?

Chickens really don't require a lot of "keeping up" - they do need a safe place to sleep at night, water and feed. Free ranging is great, but doesn't necessarily provide all the nutrients they need. Especially in the fall and winter months where I live. I don't know what your fall and winter months are like - if the plants ever die back or not. You could get by with a simple coop with just 4 walls, a roof and door to close at night(windows for ventilation would be nice, too). Put in roosts and a nest box so you don't have to go on an Easter egg hunt every day. I free range my chickens but also have attached runs so that if we're going to be gone or our son comes with his dog, I can keep them locked up and they can still get outside. If you're not willing to provide just the basics, I agree with Mrs. K - get your eggs from the neighbors. When we choose to buy and keep animals, we are responsible for their safety and well-being.

Last edited:

Yes this is the "breed" I guess. I have done some research and I see the controversy surrounding them, which I had no idea about before. I guess that is why nobody will really speak about them. Rest assured though, I have no intentions of using them for what the breed is famous for. I just want them because of their characteristics and attitude. Most of the information I have found says they are very protective and just generally more aware than most breeds. Being out in the edge of the woods, I feel like they would be a better choice.

As far as eggs, we are not getting them for egg production. I can eat eggs, but my wife and two girls don't care too much for them. I will most likely collect the eggs and take them to work and give them away.

We mainly want them just for the entertainment. I have always wanted my little girls to experience many different kinds of farm animals, and chickens may be the only thing that we'll be able to afford for a while. I'd like to have a goat and some cows and maybe even some horses one day, but right now we can't afford stuff like that.

----------------

All That being said, I just wanted to update and tell everyone that I have started a coop and run. The entire cage (run?) is about 8' wide and 7' deep. so that would be 56 sq ft of area inside the coop. It is about 6' tall. I did use the old dog house as the coop. I put it up on legs to get it off the ground, and the bottom is around 30" from the ground. I removed the floor out of the dog house and replaced it with stiff fence wire, covered in chicken wire. I will add a few nesting boxes and a roost stick. I also removed one of the sides, and replaced it with that same stiff fence wire, and it it pivots. I can unlatch the top and open it, so that I can more easily get into the coop to gather eggs and clean or whatever. the front of the coop still has the small rectangle dog entry hole. I think I may put the little ladder up to this, so they can get in.

The entire cage will be covered in chicken wire, and maybe even some stiff fence wire. I am still debating whether this will be necessary. The coop / run is in the backyard, which is fenced with stiff fence wire, kind of like hog wire I guess. I know this won;t stop every predator, but hopefully it will deter the larger ones, like coyotes. You all have sufficiently scared me into believing something is going to eat my chickens. haha

I will build a feeder out of a five gallon bucket, and I still need to look into a watering system. I may just go with a simple waterer for now but I'd like to do a better system eventually.

All that is left to do is to pick up two or three chickens at the local auction. Since they will be in a coop, I don't really have to have the game chickens so much now, but I do still think they would be better for the area we area we are in.

If you're not in it for the eggs, why not get two or three game birds instead of whatever you were thinking of picking up at auction? Just because you're building a coop and run, it doesn't mean your chickens can't still free range. Mine do most of the time, but it's nice to be able to lock them up if I have to. I'd like to suggest you don't bother with the chicken wire and get hardware cloth for your run and around your coop instead. The only thing chicken wire does is keep the chickens in. It doesn't keep much out. It really is a good thing to have your run enclosed. You have fence around your yard, but that won't keep out raccoons or oppossums. They'll climb right over that fence and get into your yard.

ETA - I had OEGBs for awhile and they were some of my favorite chickens. I had one that rode around on my shoulder - I called her Polly.

Last edited:
There are many fans of game birds and it sounds like they are excellent free rangers. They sure are beautiful and would make a wonderful addition just for that quality. Other good choices might be the smaller "flighty" Mediterranean layer breeds that really can run fast and fly, like brown leghorns. And here's a rare breed that may be a possibility for what you want:

https://www.meyerhatchery.com/productinfo.a5w?prodID=EYFS

These kinds of birds tend to be people-shy and very reactive. I have recently added Penedesenca and Blue Andalusians. These birds are good free rangers and also can take heat. I socialized them early, so they are also reasonable to handle.

If you have kids, you may want to consider a more social bird that will also make a good pet. Dominiques, for example, are very sweet and good free rangers.

Great to hear the coop is coming together and hope your chicken adventure goes well. If you invest in getting them, it's worth it to have them safe at night and in bad weather.

My first chickens came from a neighbor over twenty years ago; Belgian d'Uccle bantams, and "they'll be fine roosting in your barn" was her advice. MANY ugly deaths later, we set the survivors up in a safe coop, with attached covered run. The birds free ranged during the day, layed their eggs in the coop, and were locked in at night. 99% fewer problems with predators!!! No chicken is safe when roosting at night, and raccoons, possums, and owls easily get them in trees. Mary

Back
Top Bottom