first hatch went BAD,so sad

don't feel so bad... we all have a bad hatch once in a while... right now i'm having a bad hatch... started with 48 eggs... now i only have 23 growing eggs, and lock down is 4 days away...
sad.png

but don't be discouraged... pretty soon you'll have a bunch of healthy chicks...

I have been hatching for many years now and have tried every possible way to hatch and with/without cartons....EVERY HATCH IS A LITTLE DIFFERENT!!!

You have sooooo many variables and choices. For me (and only for me and MY little spot on earth) I have noticed that I get best results from dry hatching. I put no or minimal water in for a humidity of about 30%. Once I see my first pip I will increase my humidity to about 50%. I can add water without opening my incutabor so I don't need to worry about shrink wrapping.

Keep in mind that this is just what works for me. Everyone is different and will have found things that work best for them.

Good luck with your hatches

This is a great PDF article that helps trouble shoot hatching problems - no it does not give you "the answer" but helps narrow down trouble areas: http://www.poultry.msstate.edu/extension/pdf/troubleshooting_incubation.pdf

As
others have stated, each area and incubator favors different humidity levels - so it can be alot of trial and error.

If you can, first find eggs locally to hatch - dial in what you need to do for humidity and then try with shipped eggs.

I live in a very, very dry area in high altitude - so what works for me, does not work for someone near sea level with "normal" humidity. (Generally 35/40% humidity thru day 18 and then 50/60 for hatch)

Quote:
Nah, I'm letting YOU do that.

I did try two of my Cayuga eggs and one of Rebecca's eggs many months ago, without success. My whole plan right now is to add breeds to my flock, not just increase the flock size. I mean, yes, that happens, but I want the flock to get larger with OTHER breeds.

Quote:
Shrink wrapped chicks happen from opening the incubator too much during the last 3 days and when chicks start to pip the eggs.

You have to find what works best for the climate in your part of the country. It's a big factor in deciding humidity levels inside and outside of your home.

Most people get good results from 40 to 50% humidity levels the first 18 days day 19 thru 21 60 to 70% range. It's just learning what works best for you to have a good hatch.

Thank you this was very helpfull. All BYC ppl are so nice!! Thank you ALL~

Quote:
Yes, please do! I'd love to find a great alternative to both egg cartons and putting them directly on the bottom of the incubator - something that mimics Mama Hen just a little better.

Back
Top Bottom