First Incubation: Crossbreed Question

Will I be able to tell if I have any purebreeds out of this hatching?

Some of the hybrids will be obvious when they grow up. I don't know whether any of the hybrids will look enough like the purebreds to be confusing.

Amberlinks are already a hybrid, so there's no way to get a purebred Amberlink.

Pure Buff Orpingtons: feather color buff, comb single, and leg color white. If any of those are wrong, the bird is not a purebred Buff Orpington. If those are all right, it may be a purebred but that is not certain.

Pure Silver Laced Wyandottes: feather color clean silver & black, pattern laced, comb rose, and leg color yellow. If any of those are wrong, the bird is not a purebred Silver Laced Wyandotte. If they are all right, it may be purebred but that's not certain.

It is sometimes possible for two purebred Wyandottes to produce a single-combed chick, but because Wyandottes are not supposed to have single combs, I would count those chicks in the not-purebred group even if both parents were actually Wyandottes.

Personally no, I know a couple people with amber link hens in their flock but not ones to actually breed them
None of this was a planned breeding. Granddaughter and I decided to build a homemade incubator so we just used eggs from henhouse. 12/12 were fertile but one quit about 10 days development. Now one has begun to pip this morning on day 19.

None of this was a planned breeding. Granddaughter and I decided to build a homemade incubator so we just used eggs from henhouse. 12/12 were fertile but one quit about 10 days development. Now one has begun to pip this morning on day 19.

Attachments

• AE7FE6A6-A656-43EB-9CEF-4D61E1FA84C2.jpeg
    AE7FE6A6-A656-43EB-9CEF-4D61E1FA84C2.jpeg
    217.4 KB · Views: 2
This photo is day 20, 24 hours after pipping. I can hear chick chirping. Any need to be concerned?

Attachments

• IMG_2524.jpg
    IMG_2524.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 1
I have never hatched any eggs, so I don't know about concern at this point.

There is a LOT of need to be excited! Good luck for a great hatch!

how would 2 mixed birds make a purebred bird?
They wouldn't.

But there are two kinds of roosters and three kinds of hens.

If they're all running together, there could be two kinds of purebred chicks and four different mixes. Trying to identify which chicks are purebred and which are mixes could be difficult--some of the mixes will be obvious, but some of the mixes could look a fair bit like the purebreds.

They wouldn't.

But there are two kinds of roosters and three kinds of hens.

If they're all running together, there could be two kinds of purebred chicks and four different mixes. Trying to identify which chicks are purebred and which are mixes could be difficult--some of the mixes will be obvious, but some of the mixes could look a fair bit like the purebreds.
OH. I was only looking at the listed crosses and not reading between the lines. Thank you. 😂

Back
Top Bottom