First Incubation: Crossbreed Question

It came out of a BO egg. Hopefully dad was BO rooster
If you are able to keep track of which chicks come from eggs laid by which breed of hens, that would make it much easier to identify purebreds. Maybe leg bands on the chicks?

The most obvious case would be the Amberlink eggs-- all those chicks are mixes of one kind or the other, but if you keep track of them, you won't be guessing about them later.

Number 2 from a BO egg. I guess dad was SLW

Attachments

• EAD36017-BD38-4024-A0CB-59D42CFB3B76.jpeg
    EAD36017-BD38-4024-A0CB-59D42CFB3B76.jpeg
    316.7 KB · Views: 3
This is my situation. This is my first hatch. Day 21 is today. I had one chick to pip and hatch on day 19. A second chick pipped and hatched today.

I candled the remaining 9 eggs and saw movement in all but one. I tried to do the assist, but it ended up being an autopsy. The chick was large and developed; yolk was absorbed, but apparently suffocated. The air sac was almost a 1/3 of the interior of the egg. None of the remaining eggs have such a large air sac except for maybe one. Tomorrow at 10 am will be day 22. I do suspect my homemade incubator ran at a lower temperature versus running hot.

I have another egg that I thought had died and began the assist/autopsy, but a 1/3 of the shell came off and the little dude is alive. I applied a generous amount of triple antibiotic ointment. All four birds I have seen have been positioned opposite of the air sac.

I'm gun shy now, but what are your recommendations if none hatch tomorrow?

Back
Top Bottom