First one, now two (within several months) chickens having leg problems. What is wrong?

Another update:

Well, some good and bad news, and some possibly-soon-to-be bad news. Cockerel #2 has not improved at all, and remains hobbled on his hocks. He eats and drinks great, but I'm almost positive that he has Marek's and will probably find a way to cull him soon. Cockerel #1 has improved greatly, at least with his injured leg. It is now almost completely as strong as the non-injured leg; he can walk fine, jump a little, and could (he doesn't want to, I'm not sure why) roost, I think, if he chose to do so. He has also gained back the lost weight. However, there appears to be something else wrong with him: he has breathing difficult. Especially after he exerts himself, even slightly, he breathes heavily and acts rather lethargic. Today in particular, he's standing in a corner, eyes closed, and breathing heavily.

There is no discharge from his nostrils, but he does sneeze occasionally (though he may just be doing that because he's been eating wet food). The breathing difficulty has been going on, at varying severity, even before I brought him inside. I assumed it was because he was weakened from not eating and being cold, and expected that with good care it would get better. But now I'm not so sure. I don't want him to suffer. Could it be a mild (for now) secondary infection from him being "bedridden" for so long? Should I try antibiotics? I'm also going to worm him, as he hasn't been wormed in about 6 months. I really hope this problem can be cleared up; it would be disappointing to have him come so far with his leg only to have to be culled because he can't breathe properly.

Last edited:
BantamLover, I've had 2-leg paralysis get better after 6 weeks and walk again. I've had a few that had paralysis affect their breathing. I have one on the patio right now that limped for quite a while, then went to resting on his hocks , then not really moving too much. Now, he's laying sprawled in a cage with his wings out. I'm hoping he dies tonight on his own.

Marek's has no rules or definite list of symptoms. There are the classic symptoms that everyone can spot, then there are all the other symptoms . It helps to have a flock history and to see if you can track outside exposure to time of first bird's first symptoms. To really know for sure, you can send the body for a necropsy.

I've just lost 4 in 2 months, 2 that we hoped to have born resistant, and 2 vaccinated. All had paralysis , the two older ones had wasting as well.

Gout can cause shortness of breath & breathing difficulty, along with pain in joints of the foot, legs & elsewhere. An overly high-protein diet and/or excessive use of antibiotics can contribute to the development of gout.

It doesn't really sound like either of your roosters have gout, but I wanted to pass along the info for anyone who might read this thread whose birds might possibly have gout as a cause for such symptoms.

Very sorry things have been so hard with your roosters!
hugs.gif

The 1st cockerel just died. He stopped eating on his own yesterday, but I was still able to get him to eat something, and he was drinking plenty. And he did seem to be breathing better today after a day or two on antibiotics. But I guess he wasn't meant to live. RIP little Cockleburr.

Back
Top Bottom