First quilt block swap 2016

I always wash my fabric, l just put it in the machine with the clothes . Having owned a quilt shop I know that there is always the exception to the rule so it is better to be safe than sorry! And the colour most likely to bleed? No not red but blue!
I am having an unexpected short break in Scotland as my husband is being paid to give an after dinner speech tonight and we had volunteers to look after the kids.i will try and get my blocks made next week!
How nice enjoy yourself, lots of time left no hurry, wish I could hear your DH give his speech, you know I'm interested in the GMO's and trying to get rid of them.

Most of my fabrics I don't prewash anymore BUT I do you the dye magnet sheets and or the colour setter solution that you can get at the quilt store. I know of a few quilts up here that have been saved by the dye sheets

Thank you all for your suggestions! I haven't heard of the magnet sheets. That's good to know. And washing the quilt before you give it away. Good tip! Since I've never finished a quilt before this info is good to know!!
big_smile.png

fenrosie~Sounds like fun! Scotland!! sounds wonderful! I to wish I could hear your DH's speech. I agree with katsdar!
I haven't washed the better fabric I have used since the ladies at the quilt shop said I didn't need to, but with cheaper fabric, I may still wash. I still don't trust it not to shrink.
Working on my blocks! Hopefully mine will be done by next Friday at the latest. I will have 10 finished by this evening. They would have been done yesterday, but in the afternoon I didn't feel well and didn't work anymore on them. But feeling better today, sooo, off to the sewing room!!!
smile.png

Most of my fabrics I don't prewash anymore BUT I do you the dye magnet sheets and or the colour setter solution that you can get at the quilt store. I know of a few quilts up here that have been saved by the dye sheets
Is this like Color Catcher sheets? Yes, I always use those the first time I wash a quilt or fabric.

Here is half of a flimsy I am putting together. Once it is all sewn together it will be a 10x10 feet Cal King sized quilt top. I have been working on this on and off over several years and it is the first time I am actually laying the blocks out. My daughter did not realize I had been working on it as the biggest she ever saw was a 10 1/2 inch block. I told her to use the long arm because I had something big coming and I would tie it up once that was on the frame. She did not believe me until she saw this half a top. Any ideas on how to quilt it?

Here is half of a flimsy I am putting together. Once it is all sewn together it will be a 10x10 feet Cal King sized quilt top. I have been working on this on and off over several years and it is the first time I am actually laying the blocks out. My daughter did not realize I had been working on it as the biggest she ever saw was a 10 1/2 inch block. I told her to use the long arm because I had something big coming and I would tie it up once that was on the frame. She did not believe me until she saw this half a top. Any ideas on how to quilt it?
wow beautiful send me the block pattern, and here is a link that will help you decide how to quilt it,
good tips, but I would choose like she will suggest maybe something like a large stipple and use the clear thread, because of the colors and pattern any quilting won't be easy to see, anyway let us know what you come up with

Thank you all for your suggestions! I haven't heard of the magnet sheets. That's good to know. And washing the quilt before you give it away. Good tip! Since I've never finished a quilt before this info is good to know!!
big_smile.png

fenrosie~Sounds like fun! Scotland!! sounds wonderful! I to wish I could hear your DH's speech. I agree with katsdar!
I haven't washed the better fabric I have used since the ladies at the quilt shop said I didn't need to, but with cheaper fabric, I may still wash. I still don't trust it not to shrink.
Working on my blocks! Hopefully mine will be done by next Friday at the latest. I will have 10 finished by this evening. They would have been done yesterday, but in the afternoon I didn't feel well and didn't work anymore on them. But feeling better today, sooo, off to the sewing room!!!
smile.png
Glad your feeling better, lots of time left to get the blocks done, on another note, when I choose a fabric I put my hand behind and if I can see my hand through it I put it back, as it is too thin, and feel it won't last as long as other fabrics, with the normal wear and tear washing etc. Just my opinion, if I put work into it I want it to last for years, you ladies that have more experience please chime in. I'm may be wrong in my thinking.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom