First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Well that settles it. I need an oak tree. And a pig.

Jessica- I feel as if everyone here is extended family as well! I have been busy this summer, but when I get a chance to catch up on the thread, it without fail makes me smile and chuckle!
And seriously, it would be one heck of a weekend BBQ if we were all neighbors! I am laughing so hard imagining what everyone would bring...

In regards to acorns, we've been at our house in our 'Neck of the Woods' for two years.(there was a sign on the house that told us we have indeed bought a neck...) That first winter, there were acorns galore! I couldn't believe how many we had. My grandma always said that God provides for his critters, and in a year where the squirrels have bushy tails and the acorns are a plentiful - lookout, bad winter. Not sure how true that tale is, but wow did we have a winter. This last year, not so many acorns, and not as bad of a winter. I haven't noticed my chickens going after the acorns yet - but then I don't pay attention to everything they eat when they take off into the wood to scratch. I'll have to watch closer!

My chicks should be here in the morning! !!!
1f606.png
1f606.png
1f606.png

Welcome Tricia! Glad to have you!

I LOVE the term citiots! But what term do you have for people in the country that think they own the whole neighborhood? I would call them your landlord if they actually owned your property but she doesn't, so I have a few choice terms but I would probably get a Nasty Gram like Ralphie has.

I also need a pig or 6. Haha! Last year I wanted to raise a pig to fill my freezer. My neighbor through a hissy demanding that we couldn't do that because of the mess it would make and the flies, smell, etc. So guess what? To keep the peace hubby and I decided to just buy one from another farmer that was already raised to slaughter weight. We are really regretting keeping the peace now. We should have just did what we wanted to then. The result would have been no different and I would have saved $1000 on a pig.

But if the fence doesn't get completed soon, we are going to "borrow" a few from a friend with pigs to really speed up the fence building. Hehehehe. That's an evil laugh.

I think the squirrels would attack if I started gathering up the acorns to feed to the chickens.

Oh yes borrow a pig! lol I have enjoyed reading about your chicken adventure but I totally get why you can't say much anymore. I wanted a pig but I think everyone here would get attached. One of adult dd said to just say it was going to the diet farm for the winter. Like they'd fall for that. I don't want shock anyone into being a vegetarian.

JR ty. She is my bonus baby. I had her at 46. She'll be 3 in Oct. I miss having a little baby around so that's one reason for hatching chicks lol. How exciting about tomorrow. Be sure to share some pics.

Dh wants to order the chicks today but I still don't know how many.

Ralphie I'm totally not surprised they followed you plus you were digging up treats. We have the chicks in the living room. The kids are constantly touching or talking to them out. When we go to bed they chirp loudly. Poor babies.

They sure poop a lot. I find the food smells worse but it looks gross. I guess old white towels weren't the best choice of bedding . .

Tricia -- Welcome!

JR Nash -- Yay on your incoming chicks. Please post some pictures.

Jessica -- Ha ha, make sure they are nice big, noisy pigs.

It's funny people are talking pigs. My husband and I decided that next year we are going to build a pen outside our garden and gets couple of pigs to raise. Pork is the one meat we still buy at the grocery store and we'd like to change that.

Peep a Cheep, Test time,

No cheating, the test is timed, It must be turned in by New Years day 2034.

1) How many "beware of Alligator" signs does JR have behind his garage?

2) How many white chickens does Jessica own?

3) How many chickens is too many?

4) Figure the hatch rate on the following:
A woman gets 25 eggs by mail and 25 from her neighbor, and 6 of her own eggs. After 10 weeks in the incubator 6 have hatched the rest rotted and exploded. What is the hatch rate?

5: If you have a chickadee tapping on your window everyday for a week straight, what is wrong with the chickadee? What should you do?

6, If you are out of vodka on camp day what is the first step in assuring a good camp day?

7) How many eggs did MM get from Ethel?

8) How many hatched?

9) How long did she go without talking to her DH after hatching day?

10) How many Alligators does Linda raise?

11) Why doe Morrigan hang out here with us?

11) why is there no scrap lumber or boards anywhere around Homs' Grandpa's farm?

Good luck, hopefully we will still talk to you after the test...

Last edited:
Jessica,Ive raised a lot of pigs. Pigs are as smart as dogs. They don't sweat,so they exude waste in their urine. If they have enough room to roam they DON'T stink. And they will eat ANYTHING

Back
Top Bottom