First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

I want to make a breed avalible to he general public, ayam cemanis are EXPENSIVE especially for lots of commercial breeding Stock. So either silkies or hmoob.

Well you can certainly breed the Silkie or Show Girl bigger... I know there are big Silkies in China and if you are in an area where traditional Asian foods are in demand, you could have a market. As black meat birds are a traditional ingredient in their version of Chicken Soup for the ill. You got to breed the Dwarf genes out... but doable.

I've been making some room this weekend, culled out my spare Sasso cockerel which wasn't needed.
He dressed out at 2.6kg was full of flavour after a nice slow cook.

Sold the excess Cornish that won't be needed next year, another 20 chicks and 24 hatching eggs, that's Cornish finished for the year now.

That reduces the food bill a bit and puts a few quid back in the kitty.

So not a bad weekend.

I've been making some room this weekend, culled out my spare Sasso cockerel which wasn't needed.
He dressed out at 2.6kg was full of flavour after a nice slow cook.

Sold the excess Cornish that won't be needed next year, another 20 chicks and 24 hatching eggs, that's Cornish finished for the year now.

That reduces the food bill a bit and puts a few quid back in the kitty.

So not a bad weekend.
Good news!

Sounds like you had a good weekend Dave! It's always a good feeling to thin the herd, save some coin and enjoy the fruits of ones labor all in the same day.... now you can concentrate on the ones you really want!

My plan for chickens is simple. 4 chickens, 4 hatching eggs, I slaughter the cockerels when they crow. Then I buy more eggs to fill those places until I have only one space left. I will use it to buy meat bird cockerels and slaughter them when they crow.

What do you think about the reliability of this plan? Also, can cockerels breed before they start crowing?

My plan for chickens is simple. 4 chickens, 4 hatching eggs, I slaughter the cockerels when they crow. Then I buy more eggs to fill those places until I have only one space left. I will use it to buy meat bird cockerels and slaughter them when they crow.

What do you think about the reliability of this plan? Also, can cockerels breed before they start crowing?

I am confused.... You can only have 4 birds? Or what?

Oh yeah 4 birds only because of space.
And you plan on keeping a rooster? Will he be kept separate from the hens and just let out a few times a week to breed? A rooster will destroy just 3-4 hens. Especially ones like mine that make sure no hen gets left out :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom