First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

There is a chicken called the showgirl, a cross between silkies and turkens.
http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/BreedShowgirls.html

The naked neck gene is a good one with broilers ( although not very appealing to the eye ) and turkens are known for their broiler breeding possiblities. Silkies have a black skin and dark meat. So if this was bred for he fast growth of Cornish Rocks, it would be a goldmine.

Not for me....Does not look like a ft for my farm or climate.

Fast growth can be obtained in straight CX's. I think anything fast growing will give you problems in the long run. Joints and limbs that shatter easy. Bad legs, hearts and kidneys.

I do not like silkies so I am prejudice.

I meant just a regular Cornish Cross raised how it should be, not overfed and treated bad. And taking a dark meat silkie rooster over a Cornish Cross hen, these crosses are crossed with eachother for generations.
(Cornish Rock x Silkie) x (Cornish Rock x Silkie) = Silkie Cross x Silkie Cross = Final Silkie Cross.
Then I choose the ones with the best growth/ meat quality and cross them with eachother, occasionally bringing them back to Cornish X bloodline.

IMG_2593.JPG Well show girls are bantam naked necked silkies... Naked Necks are hardy birds and it seems to me the gene does make for a better meat bird I read some African studies on their naked necks versus non naked necks for meat production a year or so ago and if I remember right they are a better choice, NN have less feathers a plus in prepping them, but silkies have feathers you can't let get wet or the bird gets ill and dies, so a different feather type would be best. If I was going to breed black meat birds I would invest in Ayam Cemani Chickens as one of the parent breeds, then some NNs and Cornish, so I have two solid meat breeds as parent stock and then good solid blackest of black flesh parent stock and cross carefully for a Cornish type look except NN and black to the bone.

Back
Top Bottom