First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

JR the coop is looking good!

I should post pics of my CX... They are some of the cleanest birds I have! People that claim they are dirty birds clearly are doing something wrong. Mine are out running around d and eating grass alllll day long! And not a single leg issue and only one death out of my 15 birds! The one that died might have gotten stepped on... :hit

Good luck LnJ!

philipdj- so sorry! I have a thread that is all about cross breeding, sadly, it is not active.:(
But, if you just go with it(although I have heard that cx don't breed true) then maybe something will happen and you can start breeding for a better meat chicken. And if not, then it was fun to try it out, and you eat all the failures. I can't help much.:hit

"cx don't breed true' what does it mean..?? they can't be good for 2nd generation..?? because in RedSexLink Threaed, somebody show us how the 2nd gen looks like, well maybe not about red and white anymore but at least the productivity still good.
and how about CX..?? still good in 2nd gen..??

"cx don't breed true' what does it mean..?? they can't be good for 2nd generation..?? because in RedSexLink Threaed, somebody show us how the 2nd gen looks like, well maybe not about red and white anymore but at least the productivity still good.
and how about CX..?? still good in 2nd gen..??
It means that if you buy 100 CX from somewhere, they will all be pretty much identical, they will all finish out about the same weight, the same body shape, same color, etc. If you breed 2 CX, you will start getting variety, some big ones, some small ones, some color will probably show up. Stuff like that. It would also be very hard to try that due to the CX being fragile and being very hard to keep alive long enough to breed.

It means that if you buy 100 CX from somewhere, they will all be pretty much identical, they will all finish out about the same weight, the same body shape, same color, etc. If you breed 2 CX, you will start getting variety, some big ones, some small ones, some color will probably show up. Stuff like that. It would also be very hard to try that due to the CX being fragile and being very hard to keep alive long enough to breed.
If you restrict the feed and make them exercise they can be kept alive and healthy.

TOADS!...I have been breeding my CX together in prep for the hot weather/possible death of my Rooster Spike. The first batch of CX(Spike) x CX(Betty) chicks have hatched today. Betty is a Murray McMurray Roaster Hen hatched 2-6-15 and Spike a 4-H project CX bird approximately hatched in October 2016. Nice chicks, good bone showing. I will be saving back a Rooster to replace Spike when he goes. I have produced 211 chicks this year. I am most excited about these!
cx-spike-betty-20170708_210847-jpg.1069476

Back
Top Bottom