First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Hey all! How is everyone? Holding up in this crazy weather. I've been soooo busy and don't get to drop in here as often as I'd like. I miss the funny craziness! Laugh.

Soo...where is everyone at with their Cornish hold backs? Last I was here, Jessica had her first egg.

I finally sucked it up and took the chance of putting my Buckeye in with my girls, and I'm so glad I did! They weren't bothered by him, and he's been very gentlemanly to them. I have five eggs due to hatch in another ten days(ish), with more in the other incubator, and I'm really really anxious to see how these turn out.

Ralph I hear you got cream legbars -- congrats! Everyone I know is picking up these, can you shed some light on why for me? I feel like the last one in the know on a great-kept secret.

I hatched a bunch of EEs a couple weeks ago. My first hatch ever. Then I promptly killed the entire second hatch of...twenty some odd eggs, but one little Tolbunt polish survived the mass homicide. I've picked up a juvenile Tolbunt trio (so excited!!) and this weekend I'm getting Lavender Orps (also very excited!!) and a nice true black roo to go with my black hens. Meanwhile, my candy corn rooster has some G.I. issue that has baffled two avian vets and some days he eats. Some days he has to be tube fed. If anyone has ever seen this... would love your wisdom.

As I said, it's been crazy busy. I'm going to try and make it a once-daily habit to log in here. I thoroughly enjoyed the previous conversations and miss them. Hope to "see" you all soon!

Good to hear from you Melody. Okay, it looks like all 8 of my pullets are laying. Totally fertilized,too. Just in time for my surgery next Tesday. Bah!!!!!! The family will be eating all that money I was going to get selling those babies.

Hi Melody! Glad to have you back. A crap ton has happened for me since the first egg!

1. Sunny has reached 30 weeks old! I haven't gotten an egg from her in a while but she goes in the nest and comes out singing. If I'm looking for a real good laugh and open the door while she is in there "laying an egg", I may be lucky enough to see a silkie sitting on her back. Sunny hopped into my new brooder house yesterday and took a good long look and had a few choice words to say about all of the chicks in there. She is a funny, sweet, 85 pound bird and cracks me up!
2. The mention of new brooder house leads me to the crazy new business...existing egg business, part awesome business, part chicken rescue. I have about 500 + laying hens and pullets as well as 307 2-week old chicks. I am delivering 250 dozen eggs on a good week, (wish I was doing more). The hens are coming out of a molt and some neglect. I need to get them home to get the healing on!
Good to hear from you Melody. Okay, it looks like all 8 of my pullets are laying. Totally fertilized,too. Just in time for my surgery next Tesday. Bah!!!!!! The family will be eating all that money I was going to get selling those babies.
That is a bummer!

Welcome back Melody! For me, not much has happened. Pearl started laying! She is one buxom lady. Watching her walk is one of the highlights of my day!

Sounds like you have a lot of exciting things going on! Sorry to hear of the mass homicide. What happened?

Also, don't listen to Ralph. He spilled soup on his laptop. Or a peppermint schnapps and chocolate milk. I can't remember
big_smile.png
He usually corrects the "L" problems, but his deadly cold must be making him too weak.

Ralph- How you feeling today? Did the Campbells help?

Linda- Those pesky pullets! Last summer all my girls started laying the day after we left for a long vacation. My neighbors got all the first eggs. Granted, not fertilized and not meant for money making, but my first ones! Oh well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom