First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

UPDATE:

We found someone who has 20 acres that is going to let us put our chicken tractors on their property! Yay! So, we have decided to combine the two batches of chickens from the farm and move them to this property hopefully by early this week to the tractor we have been working on. No more two hours of driving each day. They live just a few minutes away. So excited!

Now to finish up this chicken tractor! Woohoo!

How much do you feed it during the day?

How far is the waterer from the feed? 

Does the belly feel squishy?

I am not sure what to tell you. Try the sour crop stuff, but I found when they got in that condition, it is not good.

it is easier to keep them from that condition, If it passes, cut the gut open and see if you have a golden/yellow water gush out...

It could be Ascites..  That was the problems I had with my first batch, they tend to over eat and not get enough exercise if not forced to,

Ok.... Definitely a potential, but belly isn't squishy. Food and water are next to each other, but heat lamp is across the box... They spend most if their time there, but are very active at feeding times. I've moved the water across from the food, ~8ft... So hopefully that will help if it is ascites.

I had one like that that I saved.  I tried to make her vomit.  I kept her on the coffee table in the living room and watched like crazy pushing fluids as much as I could.  I also kept massaging the crop.  After hours of that, she pooped and out came a piece of rubber from my husband's racing tire.  My theory is that it was stuck sideways and my massaging dislodged it enough to continue along through the digestive system.

Not sure if this would help in your chicken's situation but could have eaten something that is stuck.

Well, she's in the living room, I'm massaging on 30 min intervals. I have water and yogurt I'm giving drops at the same interval.... Keeping my fingers crossed but, I'm most worried about if she doesn't pass anything from either end by the morning......

Ok.... Definitely a potential, but belly isn't squishy. Food and water are next to each other, but heat lamp is across the box... They spend most if their time there, but are very active at feeding times. I've moved the water across from the food, ~8ft... So hopefully that will help if it is ascites.
Well, she's in the living room, I'm massaging on 30 min intervals. I have water and yogurt I'm giving drops at the same interval.... Keeping my fingers crossed but, I'm most worried about if she doesn't pass anything from either end by the morning......
It sounds like you are doing what you can. Do you have baby vitamins? Sometimes the extra vitamins give them a little perk up.

CX are one of those kinds of chickens that one second they are active and healthy and then the next second they are not. I have lost quite a few that seemed fine earlier if you know what I mean. Basically she will either pass something and be fine or pass away if it is actually something more serious. It is the blunt truth with CX. My fingers are crossed for you!

welcome-byc.gif
and welcome to our thread. CX are wonderful creatures, but in the end, they are food. I'd process early and check her liver and organs. If they are healthy I'd spatchcock her, kind of like a Cornish hen. Small but a good meal anyways.

It sounds like you are doing what you can.  Do you have baby vitamins?  Sometimes the extra vitamins give them a little perk up.

CX are one of those kinds of chickens that one second they are active and healthy and then the next second they are not.  I have lost quite a few that seemed fine earlier if you know what I mean.  Basically she will either pass something and be fine or pass away if it is actually something more serious.  It is the blunt truth with CX.  My fingers are crossed for you!

No baby vitamins, these are my babes (plus two dogs, two cats, and 6 layers the same age). I've kinda figured ill do what I can... Hope for the best but have accepted the worst!

:welcome  and welcome to our thread.  CX are wonderful creatures, but in the end, they are food.   I'd process early and check her liver and organs.  If they are healthy I'd spatchcock her, kind of like a Cornish hen.  Small but a good meal anyways.

I'll definitely do a necropsy if she does pass... I absolutely know they're food and am counting the days till butcher day! I was kinda thinking I'd process this one, and definitely do an amateur "necropsy". It'll still be safe to eat if nothing is really funky? (It'd give me a little taste of the task I have in the future!)

And thank you for the welcome! Honestly, I read most of this thread when I spontaneously filled my 15 minimum with CX, before knowing much about them! This is my first "problem"... So in that sense, I feel I've done OK till now! I also knew this thread is where I needed to come for help!!!! The knowledge here is astounding and I thank you all so much!! I only know one family here that has done a batch of CX, so I don't have a local knowledge base...

Again, a big THANK YOU to all!!

No baby vitamins, these are my babes (plus two dogs, two cats, and 6 layers the same age). I've kinda figured ill do what I can... Hope for the best but have accepted the worst!
I'll definitely do a necropsy if she does pass... I absolutely know they're food and am counting the days till butcher day! I was kinda thinking I'd process this one, and definitely do an amateur "necropsy". It'll still be safe to eat if nothing is really funky? (It'd give me a little taste of the task I have in the future!)

And thank you for the welcome! Honestly, I read most of this thread when I spontaneously filled my 15 minimum with CX, before knowing much about them! This is my first "problem"... So in that sense, I feel I've done OK till now! I also knew this thread is where I needed to come for help!!!! The knowledge here is astounding and I thank you all so much!! I only know one family here that has done a batch of CX, so I don't have a local knowledge base...

Again, a big THANK YOU to all!!
I am so glad that you have found this thread so informative and yes, welcome! I don't have babies anymore either but I keep a bottle of the liquid baby vitamins on hand for my chickens. I have given countless ill chickens baby vitamins and had them make a turnaround. That's the first thing I go for when i need to treat one anymore.

Processing this one now before she dies may not be a bad idea. It would give you practice. It is very unlikely the meat is damaged if she has a blockage or even ascities. If you do process, make sure to rest the meat for a couple of days before eating. Otherwise it will be like eating a good flavored shoe sole.
big_smile.png
At least that's what I thought eating an unrested chicken was like.

I am so glad that you have found this thread so informative and yes, welcome! I don't have babies anymore either but I keep a bottle of the liquid baby vitamins on hand for my chickens. I have given countless ill chickens baby vitamins and had them make a turnaround. That's the first thing I go for when i need to treat one anymore.

Processing this one now before she dies may not be a bad idea. It would give you practice. It is very unlikely the meat is damaged if she has a blockage or even ascities. If you do process, make sure to rest the meat for a couple of days before eating. Otherwise it will be like eating a good flavored shoe sole.
big_smile.png
At least that's what I thought eating an unrested chicken was like.

X2...

The meat is most likely good. You may want to look at the heart if you find nothing else, even a small amount of fluid in the cavity would indicate a bad heart, IMHO.

I made the mistake of eating a "fresh" chicken too. I had one have a heart attack in front of me, so I processed it and we attempted to eat it. It cannot be done. Meat needs to age.

Jessica I am so glad to hear you found a place close by to keep them. It will make for a lot shorter chicken drives, you might even be able to get a slower donkey now that they will be close.

Last edited:
Jessica- Hooray for the land closer to home! I am sure the gals will be so happy in the tractor and on grass!

Ralph- Diversionary answers... that is all I have.
Funny about the guinea, chicken, turkey nest! I am sure Ethel will love some turkens.
I hope Bert is successful with the Dixies! I am so curious about the toads.

Holm- so far so good on the turkey eggs! I am going to candle today and check for progress.

TurkeyTruff- I LOVE the heating pad! I think it is perfect for the babies. Thanks for the idea and the link!

Ralph if u decide to replace Ed I think Ed is the mean one I have 4 green eggs and 2 brown hatching in a little over a week so if u need a roo I will probably have about 3-4 roos. OR if u want a full grown roo I am thinking of selling my Welsummer and getting that blue splash Cochin Cockerel from Tripelell. But I doubt that will happen....

Back
Top Bottom