First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

So out of the 15 CX I bought Only 4 are pullets... I banded three of them... The fourth is too fine boned for my taste... Her legs aren't as thick as everyone else's and she just does not have the depth and width of back I would want on a meat bird... So I think I will keep the other three pullets. I am watching them closely to make sure they all get around ok and don't have any leg issues. So far they are all doing great!
I don't think I'd discount the smaller pullet. Even though the CX traits are not being expressed ,they are still present. She might be a good candidate for breeding Toads or Lizards or something. I can't believe you haven't got some of Ralph's yet.

I don't think I'd discount the smaller pullet. Even though the CX traits are not being expressed ,they are still present. She might be a good candidate for breeding Toads or Lizards or something. I can't believe you haven't got some of Ralph's yet.
I just need to pick my toads up ;)

I'm sort of confused about sexlinks. Meat sexlinks. Because Delawares were offcolor NH x BR and black sexlinks are also NH (or RIR but I mean the NH ones) x BR??? IM SO CONFUSED! Also Delawares are decent meaties but Im pretty sure BSL are bad!?!?! And then there are ISA Browns, a TYPE of red sexlink that is made by Hubbard that's also a decent meatie, but other RSL aren't good! SOMEONE EXPLAIN WHATS HAPPENING!!!!

Dave you plan on butchering the dwarf I assume? They sure are pretty birds. Looks like they are pretty stout birds!

Thanks, I think I will keep her for now, they make real good layers and all through the dark winter we have here.

The dwarf gene is bred into them at parent/grandparent stage so they eat less.
When a normal sized Rooster is put over her she produces normal offspring.

Just a few CX pics...
IMG_5029.JPG
IMG_5030.JPG
IMG_5031.JPG

Thanks, I think I will keep her for now, they make real good layers and all through the dark winter we have here.

The dwarf gene is bred into them at parent/grandparent stage so they eat less.
When a normal sized Rooster is put over her she produces normal offspring.
Interesting. Might as well keep her then

Back
Top Bottom