First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

Getting myself updated on all the posts! I am still waiting 20 days until we can get our chicks. We have the insulation up in the coop. We still have to cut the windows out and make them able to open. We have to cut a opening for when we put the Run up, but in the summer season they will be free range and the run will mostly be for winter.

Love seeing everyone's Chicks. Cant wait to introduce ours!! :D

I got a Dominique for my mystery chick and so far he (I think) is my favorite personality wise. Love he little bugger. I'm torn because if we end up getting an accidental roo that is an ER or TrueBlue I kind of want to keep them because of the egg genes and color diversity while the Dom is a brown egg layer with a barred gene so all of his offspring will be barred. We will just have to wait and see I guess.

:welcome

My two favorite pullets are a Dominique and a Buff Orp. They love to sit on my lap and be petted. The Dom is named "Einstein" because she is smart, bold, and curious. I have a few Black Australorps, but so far while they are nice, they aren't as interested in me.

Not necessarily could just have some genes for an upright tail. It could be they are EE unless you got true Americaunas which is not the case at most hatcheries and farm stores. And EE are mutts so who knows.

Pictured are the butts of my two Americauna chicks that are 2 weeks old! I've started to notice that all of the chicks I have (1-RIR, 1-cuckoo maran, 1-brown leghorn 2-Americana) have tails that kind of cup their bum but one of the americana has tail feathers that stick straight up could this mean it is a Roo? They were supposed to all be ladies!

Last edited:
Not necessarily could just have some genes for an upright tail. It could be they are EE unless you got true Americaunas which is not the case at most hatcheries and farm stores. And EE are mutts so who knows.

Awesome! Having rooster would not have been so bad but I'm glad I got what I paid For! I was told I could tell my Ameraucana were purebred because they have blue feet but I'm a new so I'm unsure how accurate that is!

I think it might be time for me to find them a bigger living area!!
Penguin (my daughter's "baby") has figured out how to fly up to the top of the box and "perch" on the edge.
The box is a big storage bin that I bought at a department store for home furnishings, and has no sort of lid.
Do you all think it's time to shut off my heat lamp and maybe move them elsewhere?

At two weeks old they will still need some supplemental heat. Yours are close to the same age as mine. Two of mine have learned to fly to the top of my brooder also. I keep a wire mesh lid on my brooder to prevent escapes.

Last edited:
Move elsewhere sure. No heat no. They will still need some sort of heat.

I think it might be time for me to find them a bigger living area!!

Penguin (my daughter's "baby") has figured out how to fly up to the top of the box and "perch" on the edge. 

The box is a big storage bin that I bought at a department store for home furnishings, and has no sort of lid.

Do you all think it's time to shut off my heat lamp and maybe move them elsewhere?

First time posting, not sure if I'm in right spot but I am picking up chicks in a couple days. My friend set up cardboard box with heat lamp, I'm terrified that it isn't safe or it won't be warm enough. Has anyone used this setup successfully? Are chicks as fragile as l literature says? Thank you for any info.

I just had to move my oldest ones out to the horse trailer for the day, they've been going outside but it's pouring today and they can't stay inside its too crowded... Hopefully no one can fly up 5 ft yet... Here's to hoping the weather cooperates to put them in the coop by Friday

I actually found with a cardboard box the lamps can tend to get too hot easily. Yes it can work for the first week or two until they start jumping out lol. I used a kiddie pool then switched up various things to heighten the sides as they grew.

First time posting, not sure if I'm in right spot but I am picking up chicks in a couple days. My friend set up cardboard box with heat lamp, I'm terrified that it isn't safe or it won't be warm enough. Has anyone used this setup successfully? Are chicks as fragile as l literature says? Thank you for any info.

Back
Top Bottom