First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

My rooster who is about 6 mos has started attacking me. Hens have started laying, may be contributing. Question is if I just ignore him will he outgrow the behaviour or does he need to go?

Correcting bad rooster behavior is an active process...ignoring it just indicates to him that he's won. There's a lot of info on how to prevent bad rooster behavior (or correct it if it occurs) on the forum if you do a search. I read up beforehand since I knew I was keeping multiple Roos--when my white Silkie roo hit me while my back was turned, his fluffy butt got chased all around the yard (scaring the crap out of him), then picked up and football-carried for a bit. Haven't had an issue since.

I do practice walking "through" the cockerels, not allowing them to mate right in front of me, and other dominant behaviors...none of the others has challenged my authority. If one of them didn't respond quickly to appropriate correction though (all get to make one mistake), they are getting processed into dog food as I am not passing along my mistakes.

My rooster who is about 6 mos has started attacking me. Hens have started laying, may be contributing. Question is if I just ignore him will he outgrow the behaviour or does he need to go?

My roo got nasty at about that age too. Raging hormones I think. I tried pinning him to the ground, carrying him around, picking him up, etc. Finally he made me mad, and I gave him good kick. It took 2-3 times, but he settled down. He still always watches my feet, so I always move slowly, methodically, and calmly around him. He's settled down a lot, and tolerates being picked up, will eat out of my hand, "talks and rid bits" to me, etc. I thought I'd have to cull him, but he's great now, although we "respect" each other. He still has his occasional moods, but not often. Your roo may settle down too. Just be confidant around him, so he knows you're in charge.

I must note that this is my first flock, and there're many much more experienced folks on this forum!

One of my roosters who was born this summer (he's 11 weeks old) seems to be not well and I'm worried about him. He looks a bit wobbly on his legs and keeps sitting down plus walking with his tail feathers down, but he can run if need be. No sign of wounds or injuries to the legs or feet and he is eating and pooping fine. None of his siblings are ill. He just looks a bit weak and has been this way nearly two weeks without getting better or worse. Anybody have any idea what might be wrong and how to help him?

One of my roosters who was born this summer (he's 11 weeks old) seems to be not well and I'm worried about him. He looks a bit wobbly on his legs and keeps sitting down plus walking with his tail feathers down, but he can run if need be. No sign of wounds or injuries to the legs or feet and he is eating and pooping fine. None of his siblings are ill. He just looks a bit weak and has been this way nearly two weeks without getting better or worse. Anybody have any idea what might be wrong and how to help him?
you said eating fine, but what about drinking? Does his poop look regular? Anything change around him? What about adding electrolytes in the waterer for a few days?

Mamatink7 thanks for your reply. The little cockerel's poop is normal, roughly the same as the other four chickens with him who are the same age. I've seen him drink a few times. None of the other chickens are ill and nothing has changed in his environment, but he's still the same, sitting down much more often than the others and looking a bit weak. I will try the electrolytes, but otherwise I'm baffled.

Depends I've had some girls start and not skip a day and others do. Also some lay out of the box the first day and go in the box every other day. I think sometimes they can't hold it if another hen is in the box and sometimes they just don't know what's going on. I'd definitely have dummy eggs in the box tho. They work.

I'm posting an update on my young rooster who has been weak for a couple of weeks now, maybe longer. I've found so many people with similar issues but no solution. I've brought the little guy inside and am giving him all the things I've read might be remotely helpful to a sick chicken e.g. Apple cider vinegar, yogurt, honey, garlic, cod liver oil, electrolytes etc. But so far there is no sign of improvement. He is still wobbly on his legs and sits down so much. Today his appetite seems reduced and I noticed he is making a snuggly sound I think through his nose when he breathes. His eyes are clear, skin on face and comb still red, nothing wrong with crop or poop, no wounds, no signs of worms, no ticks, just lethargy and the sniffle sound. What is going on? I'm so worried and so frustrated that I can't seem to help him or find out what's wrong. My chickens are pets rather than livestock to me and this is the first sick chicken I've had since I got my first chickens last year. :(

I'm posting an update on my young rooster who has been weak for a couple of weeks now, maybe longer. I've found so many people with similar issues but no solution. I've brought the little guy inside and am giving him all the things I've read might be remotely helpful to a sick chicken e.g. Apple cider vinegar, yogurt, honey, garlic, cod liver oil, electrolytes etc. But so far there is no sign of improvement. He is still wobbly on his legs and sits down so much. Today his appetite seems reduced and I noticed he is making a snuggly sound I think through his nose when he breathes. His eyes are clear, skin on face and comb still red, nothing wrong with crop or poop, no wounds, no signs of worms, no ticks, just lethargy and the sniffle sound. What is going on? I'm so worried and so frustrated that I can't seem to help him or find out what's wrong. My chickens are pets rather than livestock to me and this is the first sick chicken I've had since I got my first chickens last year. :(

At this point, it's time to take him to the vet. It may or may not be something that can be fixed.

Back
Top Bottom