First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

Got a call from my town postmaster at 7:00am this morning "your chickens are here to pick up!" I drove there asap and grabbed them. Everyone got here safely! they are energetic and noisy! Got them from chickensforbackyards.com, was pretty happy with them. in the order was a barred rock, a silver laced wyandotte, a RIR and a buff orpington. The hatchery even sent us a second RIR. I am wondering if the extra will be a rooster, im waiting till the company opens to give them a call, maybe they have some idea. that being said, at the end of the day, im just glad they all made it here safe. definitely the softest, fluffiest thing ive ever come in contact with, and my 4 year old son was literally jumping he was so excited.

So @Serenashome posted some of our pics of our new chicks, but I wanted to show them off with a professional photo shoot with some of the names we already have. I'll update this as we finish the names! (by professional I mean a white poster board, light, and an iphone 6)

Chocobo 3 day old BO

Little BO (no name yet)

Pikachu

Puff BR

No Name yet BR

No name yet BR

So that's the flock! They are living in a delux brooder currently, here is my grandson getting them to come to him. He's got Chocobo and Puff on his fingertips!

Chocobo! What a perfect name!
big_smile.png

I posted a question in an OLD thread, from like 2011 and not seen any response, since this thread is a bit more active I need some advice since I'm a noob.

When can we put a clump of sod in the brooder with the chicks? They are 4 days now, they came from Meyer Hatchery and were hatched Monday night, shipped, and picked up on Wednesday. Is it too soon, or wait a week?

Last edited:
Mine get it at 3 or 4 days. Want to make sure they are all active first.
I posted a question in an OLD thread, from like 2011 and not seen any response, since this thread is a bit more active I need some advice since I'm a noob.

When can we put a clump of sod in the brooder with the chicks? They are 4 days now, they came from Meyer Hatchery and were hatched Monday night, shipped, and picked up on Wednesday. Is it too soon, or wait a week?

When can we put a clump of sod in the brooder with the chicks?  They are 4 days now, they came from Meyer Hatchery and were hatched Monday night, shipped, and picked up on Wednesday.    Is it too soon, or wait a week?

I got my first chicks back in March and started throwing sod clumps in by day 4, at least. The girls seemed bored, and I knew the dirt would build up immunity and entertain them. I also would pull chickweed, clover, lemon balm, dandelions, peppermint, etc for them to scratch in. I did have to be careful when they were tiny. One got a long piece of chickweed stuck in her throat with part of it hanging out. She was chirping and I checked on her and pulled it out. But they'll love the sod!

Got a call from my town postmaster at 7:00am this morning "your chickens are here to pick up!" I drove there asap and grabbed them. Everyone got here safely! they are energetic and noisy! Got them from chickensforbackyards.com, was pretty happy with them. in the order was a barred rock, a silver laced wyandotte, a RIR and a buff orpington. The hatchery even sent us a second RIR. I am wondering if the extra will be a rooster, im waiting till the company opens to give them a call, maybe they have some idea. that being said, at the end of the day, im just glad they all made it here safe. definitely the softest, fluffiest thing ive ever come in contact with, and my 4 year old son was literally jumping he was so excited.
This is just wonderful! Your son is gonna have the best time with them. My son is 4 as well and has to check on "his girls" bright and early every morning and when he comes home from VPK.

Here are my little girls, I brought them home on Monday, at a week old. I picked them up from a farm about 20 minutes from my home. I've been around chickens growing up (my aunt and uncle had a farm and I spent a lot to time there) but this is my first time having them. We haven't picked names yet and are very excited! I have them in the house for now because I want to spend a lot of time with them and get them use to humans so they will be very friendly
love.gif
We decided on 3 to start out with, but I'm really having to fight the urge to go back and get more! We have a Black Sex Link, a Buff Orpington, and an Isa Brown
big_smile.png

The chicks are here!!! I'm so excited :D We just picked up our chicks from Paris Farmers. I think their birthday was the 4th? We got 2 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes, 2 Black Sex Link, 2 Golden Comet hens and 1 rooster! Right now they're living in a tote, hopefully it's big enough for them. I'm continuing to do research because I'm totally clueless, lol.

I built a small pen about 8 feet across in the yard and my week olds had their first "field trip". They weren't too thrilled to be out of the indoor brooder but ventured out of the safety of the cardboard box for a bit then retreated. I'm working on getting an outside brooder built out of an old wooden workbench that's been in my storage shed for 30 years Some paint and a roll of hardware cloth later all I need is to make a good door. It's sitting on a covered deck Temps are reaching the low eighties in the afternoons Brooder is almost 3x5 feet for 4 chicks. Sorry no pics of the field trip, forgot the camera and didn't trust the pen enough to go in and get it

Back
Top Bottom