First Time Egg Candler Scared!

coleson12

Chirping
Mar 28, 2015
North Carolina
Hi, this is my first time candling eggs, and I dont see any veins! What day should you start to see veins and a embryo. I see a dark spot that is floating around but it is large almost like a yolk. Is it the yolk? I got my eggs from a friend that said all the eggs should be fertile. Its day 5. What should I do!? Thanks in advance

Hey AmyLynn,
I had 2 pips before I left for work. My wife called and said one hatched before she left for work. Neither of us will be home for the next 9 hours or so. Whatever will the little fella do? No one to take him out, all alone. My goodness, he may actually dry out in there. How in the world can they hatch if I'm not there to chew my nails off?
lol.png

You horrible person... I'm gonna drive down there and get it out!
big_smile.png

Just remember your air cell will shift some if you had them in a turner upright, then laid them down for lockdown. So just below your drawn line is good. It is likely still in the air pocket!

Congrats on the pip sideWing. I feel like an expectant Aunt! Lol

I just finished my hour & a half drive from the city. This is a great way to relax a little. the drive is so stressful great to hear the classroom hatch was a great success SideWings hatch and incubator doing really well. awesome !!!!!!!!!! give your selves a pat on the back its a very good day today. I went through all of this last year alone without realizing what an amazing group of people the hatch squad of the BYC are.

I'm totally open to feedback and I really appreciate it. The problem with my temp spike was my 3 yo. When you have chicks hatching a 3 yo it's hard to keep them away.
sad.png
I'm building a new bigger bator with an automatic turner I found localy for $25. I will start with some neighbors sexlink eggs. (I know they won't be sexlink chicks
wink.png
) and sell them as backyard chickens.
There were some with the beak under the wing and some with their face next to the membrane. I won't continue to do eggtopsies as long as I can find out what went wrong. Thanks you for the feedback.

Thank you Amy. I'm not so worried about the early quitters, that happens. I didn't expect 100% hatch, but I do expect more than 50% from a good batch of eggs. I'm happy with a successful first hatch, but I'm shooting for 75%-80% in the future. Do you think I ran the incubator too dry with the shrink wrapped guy? Or is it just that some will be shrink wrapped and some won't? Like you said, some were really wet.

You two are always welcome to hijack my threads. Heck, this isn't even my thread!

So it seems the general consensus is temp spike? I can live with that since I found a better place to put it away from my sweet 3yo. :)
I just think that egg was probably more porous. I had TWO silkie eggs that did that in my last hatch. One of those things that you can't adjust for because the majority was good and had plenty of moisture. More than likely the spike in the loss of moisture happened after lockdown anyway. The two I had looked fine at lockdown, 2 days later the air cell was 3/4 of the egg and they were shrinkwrapped just like your little guy.

I think, now that you have a little more experience under your belt, with a solid humidity plan at the start and solid temps you'll find you will meet that 75%+ rate you are striving for. At least my fingers are crossed that you will.

Now, for the thread jacking, @scflock our thread is up: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/978237/she-said-he-said-whos-right-whos-wrong-no-one There. It's early, but it's up!

I am going to wait. It is still day 20.If I dont see anything happening on day 22 I will post back. Maybe when I wake up I will have a chick!
Hopefully you will. Here's the deal though, even if day 21 rolls around and no pips, there's not much you can do that is going to "save" the chicks. When someone goes in before a chick has even pipped will almost inevetibly end badly and here's why: The chick is not ready. The chick's vascular system between egg and chick does not shut down completely until HOURS after the chick has made the external pip. Trying to help before this process is complete, carries the probability of making the chick bleed out w/in a matter of a couple of minutes. Any chance that the chick had of hatching on it's own, (even if a bit late) is then taken away from it. We can't save them all, and a chick that hasn't even pipped seldom is going to survive an assist.

Back
Top Bottom