Keep us updated! ;)
SUCCESS!!! All three slept together last night.
Mom #1 got a good look at baby this morning, baby nibbled at her beak and scuttled back under her.
Mom #2 left before she saw baby. I’m still iffy about her so I’ll be monitoring closely.
I still need to make sure baby is still eating and drinking with mom #1 but so far so good.

I don’t have any shots with mom yet but here she is with some scrambled eggs and the hat she lived in for a day
1681393303986.jpeg

I could still use advice! I’m still so nervous. I’d love to hear a story as well 🥰

I pulled baby out and she had lots of water. She started peeping and mom did some soft “bok bok” sounds and stood up a little to let baby back under.
View attachment 3465854
View attachment 3465855
I had 3 hens all go broody with in 2 days of each other (on the first day of the year). I set them all up in what I now call the maternity ward, in my coop and they all say in their little buckets, and life was good. (They could see each other, an occasionally got confused about which nest was theirs, but there wasn't any fighting).
Chicks hatched (I learned my coop is too dry to let the hens brood and hatch chicks in it, but over all it was a success.) There was 4 days of hatching chicks. When all the chicks were dry, I turned the boxes over (as seen in the first picture I posted) and let everyone mingle. The Welsummer and the australorp needed to have a fight about whom was more dominant... So I put the chicks on one side of the ward and the 2 hens on the other. Challenge lasted about 1 minute, and everyone went back to mothering appropriately. (Apparently the Orpington mom was just higher in the pecking order already). Everyone worked together to raise 21 chicks. The Welsummer stopped mothering them first, the Orpington was the last. The mother hens don't seem to hang around each other all that much, nor did they beforehand... But it worked.
The advice portion- you're going to be in the same room. If the other hen comes back and wants to mother with hen #1, you'll probably see any problems she has almost immediately. Hen #1 seems to be bonding to the chick already (the clucking is to teach the chick who's mom) so if hen #2 is going to be a problem, she'll be the one to separate out. Chicken mothering varies in time. I had one hen be done in a week, and others that kept on for a month.
You seem to be doing really well. You're paying attention and doing your best to facilitate the chicks doing their thing... And that's all you need to be doing. :)

I had 3 hens all go broody with in 2 days of each other (on the first day of the year). I set them all up in what I now call the maternity ward, in my coop and they all say in their little buckets, and life was good. (They could see each other, an occasionally got confused about which nest was theirs, but there wasn't any fighting).
Chicks hatched (I learned my coop is too dry to let the hens brood and hatch chicks in it, but over all it was a success.) There was 4 days of hatching chicks. When all the chicks were dry, I turned the boxes over (as seen in the first picture I posted) and let everyone mingle. The Welsummer and the australorp needed to have a fight about whom was more dominant... So I put the chicks on one side of the ward and the 2 hens on the other. Challenge lasted about 1 minute, and everyone went back to mothering appropriately. (Apparently the Orpington mom was just higher in the pecking order already). Everyone worked together to raise 21 chicks. The Welsummer stopped mothering them first, the Orpington was the last. The mother hens don't seem to hang around each other all that much, nor did they beforehand... But it worked.
The advice portion- you're going to be in the same room. If the other hen comes back and wants to mother with hen #1, you'll probably see any problems she has almost immediately. Hen #1 seems to be bonding to the chick already (the clucking is to teach the chick who's mom) so if hen #2 is going to be a problem, she'll be the one to separate out. Chicken mothering varies in time. I had one hen be done in a week, and others that kept on for a month.
You seem to be doing really well. You're paying attention and doing your best to facilitate the chicks doing their thing... And that's all you need to be doing. :)
That’s so lovely! We have an Orpington who surprised us with how high she is in the pecking order, she’s so gentle that it was hard to imagine her fighting. We discovered she never starts it but she won’t tolerate anyone messing with her or her best friend (an Ameraucana who absolutely will start fights). Once everything is sorted out though, you’re more than likely to find her preening whoever she fought with 😆. She’s such a lover.

Mom #1 is still doing a lovely job. She accidentally grabbed baby’s toe when she was preening but I caught it and everyone was okay.
Mom #2 isn’t going to be a mom right now. She had a stand-off with baby and did her defensive turkey pose so I moved the other two to a clear bin where hen #2 can still see them so she won’t be too lonely. She’s been bored out of her mind with her friend so broody though, poor thing.
853A67A7-0819-4F18-9646-5AA423B947B5.jpeg

Everything is going really well except the little one has a ruptured air sac. I took her to the vet and I’ve been trying to treat it but it just keeps inflating.
She still has plenty of energy and is acting normal but it’s concerning.
Does anyone know what I can do?

1682664045076.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom