First time hatching

I don't mess too much with them until after 18 hours and then I will moisten the membrane and enlarge the pip hole to make sure they are in a good position (beak up from under wing not sideways or foot over the head-had one of those once) if they seem to be in a good position and still lively, chirping and what not I usually stick them back in and give them the full 24 hours. You can attempt an assited hatch, chances are you are going to find the veins have not dried up and you'll get blood and have to stop anyway. Alot of the time with assisted hatches it appears the veining is gone until you get down near the bottom only to find it's still prevelant down there and the umbilicus is still connected.

@AmyLynn2374 I made the pip hole bigger and moistened the membrane about an hour ago, she seemed like she needed help but I didn't want to go over board. I think I did the right thing though. The incubator is in the basement but I can hear cheeping from upstairs so I'm gonna go see if she's made any progress. How can I tell if the chicks in the other 2 eggs are dead or alive? Yesterday I could see lots of movement in one of them but today nothing

She's out! Guess she needed a little help getting started and then she busted on outta there! Can't wait till she's dry so I can see what kind she is. Still need a way to tell if the other eggs are going to hatch or not though

She's out! Guess she needed a little help getting started and then she busted on outta there! Can't wait till she's dry so I can see what kind she is. Still need a way to tell if the other eggs are going to hatch or not though
That's excellent! As for the others. If you see no signs of an internal pip or signs of life by this time tomorrow, there's a good chance they didn't or won't make it. I'd give them until the end of day 23 at least to see, but generally after 24-48 hours of your hatch-if they are going to hatch they have or at least are internally pipped.

How do I see an internal pip?
When you candle them, if you see a shadow in the air cell, usually looks like a triangle and usually it moves then you're seeing an internal pip or the attempt of them piercing the membrane to make the internal pip. Usually when you have an internal pip and a live chick, if you hold the egg to your ear and tap the air cell you will hear a tapping back or even a chirp and usually you can feel the movement inside the shell. Almost like fluttering.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom