first time incubating

When should I move the newborn duckling into his brooder? Its been 24 hours but he's still not able to walk around. He's just flipping and flopping in circles in the incubator. Does he need food and water at this point?

Once you've incubated for 7 days you should be able to clearly see the embryo and blood vessels as well as movement in the egg. I never really tried to figure it out before that.

X2. I dont toss clears until day 10 when I'm certain they aren't developing.

When should I move the newborn duckling into his brooder? Its been 24 hours but he's still not able to walk around. He's just flipping and flopping in circles in the incubator. Does he need food and water at this point?

Since he's your only one and you aren't waiting on others, move him any time! Definitely needs food and water. Some electrolyte in the water would be good if you have it too. The food and water will perk him up too. I assumed you had already moved him lol

Last edited:
I just took him out to examine his belly button area and I noticed that his bum feathers were really stuck together. I just gave him a very careful bath. Took several soakings and lots of gentle picking at it to clean him up but I finally managed to get most of it off and expose his vent. He pooped almost instantly so hopefully he's OK now. He's back in the incubator drying off again, but looks like hes shivering. I hope I did the right thing

I just took him out to examine his belly button area and I noticed that his bum feathers were really stuck together. I just gave him a very careful bath. Took several soakings and lots of gentle picking at it to clean him up but I finally managed to get most of it off and expose his vent. He pooped almost instantly so hopefully he's OK now. He's back in the incubator drying off again, but looks like hes shivering. I hope I did the right thing

Should be fine. You could have put him in the brooder under a heat lamp. They are resilient little boogers.

Ducky lucky is doing great today! He's up walking all around, flapping and quacking. His legs are still a little wobbly but much better then yesterday!

I love to hear that! Please post more photos! I won't raise ducks ( tried that once with six mallards, noise, mess were incredible) but they are so very cute as babies.

I love to hear that! Please post more photos! I won't raise ducks ( tried that once with six mallards, noise, mess were incredible) but they are so very cute as babies.

Muscovy ducks are actually the quietest of ducks I've heard. And the only ducks not related to mallards. I'll post more pics soon!

Aww that is great news! He will be stable before you know it. A little food and water does wonders! You have raised other ducklings right?

Nope only the 3 that I bought 2 weeks ago. They are 3 weeks old now. Its my first time raising chickens as well. I just moved from the big city ( Toronto ) out to the country so its all new to me!

Back
Top Bottom