First time outdoor brooder... am I forgetting anything ?

I like outdoor brooding and I've been putting chicks outside from day 1 for a few years now. Fingers crossed, I haven't had any issues.

I converted an old rabbit hutch into the brooder -- insulated on the top and three sides and placed it in a sheltered area in the chicken run. I use a heating plate, and in really cold weather, I put a sweeter heater along one side. I've had chicks out there in below freezing temperature. I've found that they feather up and harden off really fast.

As far as keeping them off the plate, I put a piece of plastic shelf liner on top, with a rock holding it down. I also hang one a remote temperature gauge inside the brooder (just inside the brooder, not under the heat plate) and another outside that I can check from my living room. As long as the inside temperature reads at least 8 -12 degrees warmer than the outside sensor, I know the heat is working.

View attachment 3362238
View attachment 3362239
Thanks for sharing your set up. I like the thermometer idea to make sure the brooder is working.

So I moved the chicks out today. Here’s how it looks-

0E9F4DD1-E0A3-4393-8696-50A066C44D92.jpeg

83B99B85-C2C5-4B11-90FD-3EB7797671D6.jpeg
B0FD5E33-CCCE-4470-9CFA-747A7D809044.jpeg
41650262-2903-49DD-A738-E9C3DC0342A2.jpeg
They seem happy, although I noticed while I hung out with them they wouldn’t go under the brooder, so I had to leave and they called for me for a while, but finally settled down and went under the brooder.

I have a few more projects for the next few days. I’m going to reinforce the wrapped side. I don’t think it’s secure enough on its own (I was getting tired of cutting hardware cloth so I took a short cut so I skipped that side, but I don’t like it). For the time being the cardboard box reinforces that side.

I haven’t found a way to position the brooder cord with the indicator light in such a way that I can see it on the camera. So I’m going to see if I can find another way to be able to ensure the brooder is functioning properly.

Lastly, I’ve grown concerned about the big chickens and the space the crate occupies. I don’t want them crashing into it when they jump off the roost (they have a ramp but some still jump) or try to get on top of it and get a leg stuck. So tomorrow Hubs is going to help me put a piece of plywood across the top of the crate that angles upwards toward the wall. This should keep them protected while also (hopefully) deterring them from hanging out there.
90D30387-A350-495B-8498-526ADF9B29F6.jpeg
D8232BAA-28F5-42E7-970B-277451779014.jpeg

try to get on top of it and get a leg stuck.

Don't worry about that.

Barring some crazy freak accident the adults will walk on the bars and be just fine. I have a crate in my coop as a broody breaker and the birds are always up there.

The reason to cover it is to keep the adults from sitting above the chicks and pooping on them.

BTW, my chicks get on top of their plate as they get older and I just brush the poops off without worrying about it much. The dry poops aren't a hazard.

Barring some crazy freak accident

Crazy freak accidents are daily adventures at Fluster Cluck Acres 😂

I have a crate in my coop as a broody breaker and the birds are always up there.
That’s good to know. I haven’t seen anyone on top of it yet, but I still think we’ll cover it tomorrow just in case.

It seems like you have all your bases covered. I have always floor brooded chicks in a coop. I am not familiar with plate brooders or the “mother hen” heating pad methods. I use a 1950 era Ohio type brooder. Which keeps my chicks warm. Even when temperatures drop into the teens. It seems like people have good results with the other types also.

So I moved the chicks out today. Here’s how it looks-

View attachment 3362613
View attachment 3362614 View attachment 3362615 View attachment 3362621They seem happy, although I noticed while I hung out with them they wouldn’t go under the brooder, so I had to leave and they called for me for a while, but finally settled down and went under the brooder.

I have a few more projects for the next few days. I’m going to reinforce the wrapped side. I don’t think it’s secure enough on its own (I was getting tired of cutting hardware cloth so I took a short cut so I skipped that side, but I don’t like it). For the time being the cardboard box reinforces that side.

I haven’t found a way to position the brooder cord with the indicator light in such a way that I can see it on the camera. So I’m going to see if I can find another way to be able to ensure the brooder is functioning properly.

Lastly, I’ve grown concerned about the big chickens and the space the crate occupies. I don’t want them crashing into it when they jump off the roost (they have a ramp but some still jump) or try to get on top of it and get a leg stuck. So tomorrow Hubs is going to help me put a piece of plywood across the top of the crate that angles upwards toward the wall. This should keep them protected while also (hopefully) deterring them from hanging out there.View attachment 3362618 View attachment 3362619
I think it looks great.

Back
Top Bottom