First time processing and fat question

Bobmc914

Chirping
Mar 31, 2021
Western Pennsylvania
I processed my least favorite of my bielefelder roosters today. I had too many; I wanted two, had to order 3, and was sent four by mistake. He was around 11 months. Anyway, it went ok, thankfully the killing went well, that was a big relief.

The kids all wanted to watch, but they had mixed reactions when it actually happened. My 9 year old daughter ran off saying, "I can't watch; this is already a nightmare." Her two younger brothers watched mostly quietly. The 3 year old said, "Mr. Scarlett is dead. He's bleeding."

I do have a question about the carcass. I found more fat than I expected, but I don't know how unusual the amount is. The keel seems rather prominent, so I was surprised to find a big hunk of fat in him. Is this unusual, or fairly typical? I have only ever dealt with supermarket chickens, so I know I don't know what is normal for a backyard dual purpose chicken. I checked the other three (same age) tonight and they feel fairly similar across the keel and breast.

They have free access to flock raiser pellets, and a couple acres of backyard and woods. The whole flock of 25 gets a few cups of kitchen scraps most days.

He was 6.1 lbs, and came out to 3.75 gutted and skinned including about 3 oz of fat I cut out and saved.

Attachments

• 20230220_143434.jpg
    20230220_143434.jpg
    357.9 KB · Views: 436
  • 20230220_143258.jpg
    20230220_143258.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 11
They have free access to flock raiser pellets, and a couple acres of backyard and woods. The whole flock of 25 gets a few cups of kitchen scraps most days.
I don't see anything unusual in the way you are feeding them. Flock raiser is probably 20% protein. I feed mine a 16% protein feed but with them foraging like that it should balance out.

That is a little more fat than I'd expect on a cockerel or rooster. I don't know if breed has anything to do with that. I'd expect not. If you butcher a pullet or hen expect a lot more fat. Before they start laying they put on a lot of excess fat, usually in a huge fat pad in the pelvic area but also scattered around the cavity and organs even more than that photo shows. This fat is what they mostly live off of if they go broody so they can stay on the nest instead of constantly having to hunt for food. The boys don't have to do that.

I would not change anything you are doing. I think that is within the range of acceptable.

Back
Top Bottom