First time raising meat birds - my journey of raising Cornish X in the city

Pics
If you get hardware cloth, get the 1/4 inch size. I wouldn't trust that a raccoon couldn't reach through a 1 inch square.

And, yes, attaching a tarp to the inside would be harder. I haven't done that myself, and was trying to brainstorm possible solutions. If I were to try it, I would try essentially sewing it down. Making small holes that I would poke wire through and than linking the tarp to the structure that way. All and all, 1/4 inch HW cloth would be a better solution. It's basically the gold standard when it comes to predator proofing chicken coops.

If you get hardware cloth, get the 1/4 inch size. I wouldn't trust that a raccoon couldn't reach through a 1 inch square.

And, yes, attaching a tarp to the inside would be harder. I haven't done that myself, and was trying to brainstorm possible solutions. If I would to try it, I would try essentially sewing it down. Making small holes that I would poke wire through and than linking the tarp to the structure that way. All and all, 1/4 inch HW cloth would be a better solution. It's basically the gold standard when it comes to predator proofing chicken coops.
Thank you! Let's see what the local store has to offer.

Half-inch hardware cloth is more often recommended because it's made of a stronger gauge of wire. Quarter-inch hardware cloth is weaker -- some predators can rip through the finer wires.

Half-inch hardware cloth is more often recommended because it's made of a stronger gauge of wire. Quarter-inch hardware cloth is weaker -- some predators can rip through the finer wires.
Interesting. I've always used 1/4 inch, mainly out of concern that a weasel -- which we have lots of -- could slip though the 1/2 inch.

Either size would be better than 1 inch.

Interesting. I've always used 1/4 inch, mainly out of concern that a weasel -- which we have lots of -- could slip though the 1/2 inch.

Either size would be better than 1 inch.

*nods*

It's always important to target your protections to your most likely predators.

My main land-based concerns are raccoons and loose dogs. The coyotes and foxes are shyer about being near our house.

How are they doing in the tractor?
Great so far! It's been pretty cool the past few days but once they discovered the snuggle box I made (just a cardboard box with one wall cut low, filled with pine shavings), they have been comfortable and can keep themselves out of the wind when they need to. So thanks for that idea!

I haven't been able to get to a store to check out hardware cloth prices just yet. I'm recovering from an injury so for transportation to places not in our neighborhood, I have to rely on others. I may have the chance to go to TSC today though. But luckily, it seems no one has been able to reach the chickens thus far.

I'll do their weights again tomorrow and add some more pictures. Not sure how I will weigh them all now that they are in the tractor, but we'll see how it goes. These guys are still growing incredibly fast!

Whoops... got sidetracked yesterday and forgot to post, but I did get weights.

WEEK FOUR UPDATE

Weights:
3 lbs 5 oz
3 lbs 4 oz
3 lbs 1 oz
3 lbs
2 lbs 15 oz
2 lbs 14 oz

Idk how to average this with some still being in the 2 lb range, but I would assume the group average is somewhere at about 3 lbs. Pretty good I think! What do you guys think?

They are enjoying the chicken tractor life so far. 😎
signal-2022-10-11-16-56-55-549.jpg
signal-2022-10-11-16-46-51-585.jpg

They are 4 weeks old, so about halfway to processing date. Size wise, it seems they are about halfway to the size we are looking for.

They are coming along nicely. I think I see one in the huddle box.
Thanks! And yes, they all learned to use the box so it's great. Thanks for the idea! It's always windy here by Lake Erie so it's good to have something with walls to block the wind.

Only problem is the little beasts are already outgrowing the box so I need to find a bigger box!

Back
Top Bottom