First time raising meat birds - my journey of raising Cornish X in the city

WEEK SIX UPDATE

Wow, we're really getting close to processing date! I don't have a set date yet, but judging upon their current weights, 7-8 weeks should be enough, although I am shooting for 8.

Getting weights was hectic again this week. I still don't have a bathroom scale so I tried again to get as many on the kitchen scale as I could as they all mingled around. I got 4 before I no longer knew who was who and the weights are as follows:

7 lb 5 oz
7 lb 2 oz
6 lb 12 oz
6 lb 5 oz

Can't believe some are in the 7 pound range! If I butchered those now I would be happy. But I plan to wait a little longer. Hoping for a 5+ pound dressed bird.

signal-2022-10-25-18-09-34-803.jpg
signal-2022-10-25-18-09-20-460.jpg

I bought a hanging fishing scale for weighing chickens.

I put them into a bucket with a cloth draped over the top and then weigh the bucket + bird combo.

Finally I weigh the bucket and cloth.

You can also wrap larger birds in a cloth if they're too good at getting out of the bucket.
Last week I tried my new hanging scale with a bucket and it seems defective. :( So this week it was back to squeezing them on the kitchen scale.

They look like nice big birds. Kudos on undertaking this process and thanks detailing your progress.
Thanks! Glad you think they are looking good. I also think so and it's really been cool to see how fast they grow.

And yeah, I have never done anything on the internet where I track the progress of something I'm doing for others to see, but I figured this would be informative for others who are in my situation in the future.

This is a very informative thread overall.

I can't catch my birds without a net. I use a trout net (imagine the fly caster in a stream) because it's about the right size. Then hang the net with enclosed chicken on a spring scale.
Thanks!!

And yeah, that seems like the way to do it. I bought a hanging scale but I think it's defective so I'm sending it back. I should have tested it before the chickens were too big for my other scale!! Lol

Question for anyone with experience on the matter:

If I feed the chicken feet to my dog like many people on here suggest, will he become tempted to go after my live chickens' feet in the future? He's often outside with my laying hens in the yard and does not bother them at all, but I don't want any problems in the future. Or are dogs too simple to make the association? I just wonder about the scent.

Back
Top Bottom