First timer. Sending Apollo to freezer camp…

MinicaFarmington

Chirping
Apr 13, 2023
Well we got an accidental roo as a chick. He’s a RIR. He bit me just before vacation. Pretty hard. Now he’s begun sizing up my 8 year old since we got back a few days ago. And CROWING. Holy cow!! Sooo loud and non-stop. He’s just shy of 20 weeks old, so I guess he’s just a late bloomer with the crowing? Idk

Anyway, I was hoping for the best that maybe he wouldn’t be real loud or aggressive, and even tho he hasn’t attacked anyone… as a mom, I can feel it in my bones that he’s gonna get nasty. I just feel it. I am NOT comfortable with how he’s posturing around my kid. This is meant to be a pleasant experience for us and I don’t “need” a rooster stressing me out!

I was prepared that freezer camp may be inevitable. I do feel bad. But, I also know this is the correct choice and it is what needs to be done. My granddad raised birds and pigs, so I have been around this and assisted with processing. So grateful that my husband is comfortable dispatching, because I’m not confident that I would minimize suffering, and I fear my hesitation over it would lead to just that.

If you have any words of encouragement, tips or advice for me, I’d so greatly appreciate it.

Ty everybody. ❤️

I think you are definitely doing the right thing! RIR in particular are known to have nasty roosters. Obviously not all of them will be but sounds like it’s just a matter of time before your guy turns. Better to do it now before somebody gets hurt rather than regret it later. I’ve processed several birds and it can definitely be hard emotionally but it is necessary sometimes. And it sounds like that’s the case here.

First time is hardest
Rest in refrigerator at least until rigor mortis has passed. Usually a day to 3.
Age determines cooking method
Screenshot_20230620-171433.png

I think you are definitely doing the right thing! RIR in particular are known to have nasty roosters. Obviously not all of them will be but sounds like it’s just a matter of time before your guy turns. Better to do it now before somebody gets hurt rather than regret it later. I’ve processed several birds and it can definitely be hard emotionally but it is necessary sometimes. And it sounds like that’s the case here.
Thank you so much for the encouragement. I’m definitely on the same page as you. But it’s really reassuring coming from others. Thank you for that! I would feel awful if I waited until “something happens”, with my instincts telling me not to. I trust my mom gut 100%. Still stings of course. BUT, I don’t mess around when it comes to the kiddo and we will share gratitude in the meal provided to us.

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I’m definitely on the same page as you. But it’s really reassuring coming from others. Thank you for that! I would feel awful if I waited until “something happens”, with my instincts telling me not to. I trust my mom gut 100%. Still stings of course. BUT, I don’t mess around when it comes to the kiddo and we will share gratitude in the meal provided to us.
I think it’s fantastic you’re putting your kids first as some don’t or just don’t realize until something happens, sadly.

At that age they make the best roasters, imo. Just make sure to cook it pretty slow. And definitely keep it in the fridge for at least 2 days, but can go for up to 5.
And you're making the right choice, never mind how hard it is :hugs
Thank you. Can you tell me the temp u usually cook at?? Also, I appreciate your encouragement and kind words. ♥️

Thank you. Can you tell me the temp u usually cook at?? Also, I appreciate your encouragement and kind words. ♥️
I'm not quite sure to be honest, because we have a wood stove, and I'm not quite sure what temps it does.
The chicken goes in the bottom of the oven, with a tray over the top, so maybe it's more that it keeps it moist then the actual temp.

I'm not quite sure to be honest, because we have a wood stove, and I'm not quite sure what temps it does.
The chicken goes in the bottom of the oven, with a tray over the top, so maybe it's more that it keeps it moist then the actual temp.
Thank you. I think it’s so cool that u do all your cooking with wood! Wow. I’m gonna look up some info about the temps on those stoves and see if I can come up with something. You can’t go wrong with low and slow generally. So I think it’s a great suggestion. Ty again!

Back
Top Bottom