Fishing line or wire over large run to keep chickens from flying out

big wally BT

Hatching
Dec 4, 2023
18 x 24 foot run.

I have a 7 foot tall chicken run and a few of the dozen chickens can fly out . I believe I can run fishing line across the top around the perimeter facing inward and that will stop them. Anyone have experience doing this or can recommend how close I have to space the line to stop them? Thinking a 3 foot perimeter with line spaced 6 inches apart will do the trick. See sketch below.

Thoughts? (not looking to clip wings.)

p.s. I already have lines across entire top for hawk deterrent (4 foot for spacing) and no problems!

l----------
l
l
l
l
l inside of run

Last edited:
Hiya, and welcome to BYC!! :frow

I have heard of fishing line being used for keeping hawks away, but chickens aren't so smart and I imagine they won't learn either. I would worry they won't see it and will keep trying and one will eventually get themselves stuck in it, not? Maybe wire or you could put some clips or something on the fishing line?

There's bird netting we buy to cover our field of strawberries that is cheap and would work better I would think.

Hiya, and welcome to BYC!! :frow

I have heard of fishing line being used for keeping hawks away, but chickens aren't so smart and I imagine they won't learn either. I would worry they won't see it and will keep trying and one will eventually get themselves stuck in it, not? Maybe wire or you could put some clips or something on the fishing line?

There's bird netting we buy to cover our field of strawberries that is cheap and would work better I would think.
Thx.
The thing with netting is it collects leaves and sticks from the trees the run sits under. Looks terrible real fast and cleaning that (the sticks mostly) is not so easy from my koi pond netting experience. It may end up being be my answer if the idea of lines proves not feasible.

The upside of line, if it works, is i think it will look better especially since we look down at the run from the house. Yea the chickens don't see so well... Hoping to not just try lines and see what happens.

Thx.
The thing with netting is it collects leaves and sticks from the trees the run sits under. Looks terrible real fast and cleaning that (the sticks mostly) is not so easy from my koi pond netting experience. It may end up being be my answer if the idea of lines proves not feasible.

The upside of line, if it works, is i think it will look better especially since we look down at the run from the house. Yea the chickens don't see so well... Hoping to not just try lines and see what happens.
If you wind up trying the netting, tie it down very tight like a trampoline, and then a leaf blower works well to clean those off. Good luck!

18 x 24 foot run.

I have a 7 foot tall chicken run and a few of the dozen chickens can fly out . I believe I can run fishing line across the top around the perimeter facing inward and that will stop them. Anyone have experience doing this or can recommend how close I have to space the line to stop them? Thinking a 3 foot perimeter with line spaced 6 inches apart will do the trick. See sketch below.

Thoughts? (not looking to clip wings.)

p.s. I already have lines across entire top for hawk deterrent (4 foot for spacing) and no problems!

l----------
l
l
l
l
l inside of run
That might work.
Are they landing on the top rail of fence before flying over?

Electric tape might work. This is used on horse fences, as the top rail (or just by itself) it is about 1' wide and is white. I used it on my pasture fence along the top because deer could not see the wire and would jump into it. Obviously, you don't have to electrify it. It is weather resistant and you can tie it.

Last edited:
It will absolutely work. Once they fly up and hit it a couple of times they learn they are not getting anywhere. I like string better then netting one for the same reason of leaves and sticks and two I worried about small birds getting tangled in it.

Back
Top Bottom