Fixing a slipped capon?

fuzzballiscute

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2015
So I have this young silkie rooster that I have grown quite fond of. I decide to try caponizing to minimize rooster qualities,. I know it is unlikely to stop crowing, but I wanted to lessen it. Anyways, it was my first (actually second, the first time I just spread it open and didn't know that silkies had black testes) time caponizing. I got the first one out whole, couldn't find the other so I flipped him. Made another insiscon and found the other, I was on the verge of getting the second one out whole but it slipped and I ended up scraping the kidney. It started pooling with blood so I could see clearly and desperate, I tried to grab it out and only removed half, I searched in the blood and found the other piece and removed it (he lived, acted like nothin happened!) but yesterday after doing a more successful caponizing, I found after breaking it, I had to go back and keep picking out tiny tiny pieces left in, which makes me think on the first one, I left a tiny piece...
Would it be possible, if when I find out if he's a slip, to cut him again and take the piece out? I've found these guys to be seriously tough I think it might work.

Thanks!

It depends; it's difficult to caponize birds over 4 months and near impossible over 6 months. It's also riskier the older the get. If you want to try and recover any missing pieces I would suggest doing it sooner rather than later. My slips usually crow even if they don't mate, but a full capon will not ever do either.

Thanks. The thing is that I'm not sure whether he's a slip or not and I wouldn't want to cut him open for nothing... Maybe it won't be as dangerous later since it would be just a small piece... UGH I wish I just didn't have to worry about it!
Thanks though!

Back
Top Bottom