Flies under the rabbit cages

obsessed

Songster
12 Years
Jan 3, 2008
Slidell, LA
It has been freakishly hot here. We have had a heat index of over 100 for a couple of weeks. I started to spay my rabbits with a hose every day but I noticed that it draws FLIES. Like a lot of flies. Will they hurt my rabbits?

I guess I could stop spraying them but it is so hot and I don't have access to power to fan them or air condition them. Is There anything I can do for them?

Be meticulous about cleaning from under their cages and possibly hang a fly bait trap or 2. The other thing you can try are fly predators from Spalding labs or other places. Google fly predators and you'll get some suppliers. Good luck!

You need to be extra careful if they are wet, "the moisture" will actually draw flies and they could even lay eggs on your rabs, it's a horrible thought but something I have gone thru so I know from experience! And It could kill them so please, please be careful I don't want you to go thru the same horror that I did!

There is a bug spray that you can get that you use for bunnies etc. I'm not sure what it's called but you could probably ask like PetSmart or some pet store near you they could probably suggest something to you!

I got so worried about those darn flies I forgot to mention what I did for when it got too hot for my bunnies, they aren't babies I call all rabbits bunnies
big_smile.png
What I did was to fill the plastic milk containers with ice water put the cover on and put in their cage with them. I even put ice cold water in a hot water bottle put like a light cloth around it put that in the cage too, the bunnies can then lay close to it. I think that it helped cool them some!
smile.png

Watch out for them awful flies on your bunnies! Be especially watchful by their behinds! I hate flies!!!!!!
somad.gif

Get some fly predators. They won't do anything about the adult flies, but they will cuat down on the ones hatching. They attack the pupae. Do wonders if they are properly managed.

I have had bunnies for many years and never sprayed them with water, reasons especially like those I mentioned above. I would imagine tho with a regular hose maybe with a mister or something like that I would imagine. Anything else would scare them I would think!
idunno.gif

I will start the water bottles. I just mist them with the hose to help keep them cool. I don't have actual misters so that is what I have been using. Thanks....

Back
Top Bottom