Flock raiser feed -- all medicated? Other feed questions too.

jtbrown

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Southeastern Ohio
I am having some issues feeding ducks, guineas, and chickens, various ages. Purina is what is readily available here, so I feed that and locally produced mash for my laying hens. I was on purina website and read about flock raiser and thought, well I could feed the chicks, ducks, and guinea fowl that.

So I went to feed store (local place that you ask for it, they load it in car) and asked for 2 50# bags. Got it home and it has amprolium I it, and I know you aren't supposed to feed that to the ducks. No where on the website does it list medicated. It has feeding guidelines for ducks on the bag! I could take it back,but honestly I will just not feed where ducks can get it.

Is ALL flock raiser medicated? I personally don't generally feed medicated, am rather particular about that, but 100 # feed won't last real long, so it will be okay. Also, to my surprise the tag says specifically NOT to feed to ducks or turkeys (i think turkeys) but yet there are feed guidelines on the bag with duck and turkey pictures on the bag????? Makes no sense to me.

Can you feed laying mash to ducks? Or is the powder problematic? Should I put calcium in my duck food since they started laying.

Also I post in the guinea section, so I can post there later, but what do you generally feed the guineas in a mix flock?

Thanks for those who are in the know. sorry to post so much, but had a bunch of feed questions, trying to get max for my money and still keep all my flock I good nutrition too.

I've fed flock raiser to all of my birds for years now with no issues at all. I always add oyster shells during laying season though. Also ducks can indeed have medicated feed. The medication previously used decades ago was deadly to waterfowl however in modern times the medication has been modified to allowed for waterfowl consumption.

Back
Top Bottom