FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Hi there! Yes my fiance and I enjoy them very much! Matter of fact, for our cheap date nights (since we are wedding planning and cutting back a lot) we grab a bottle of wine, and bring our fold out chairs to the chicken run about an hr before dark, and just watch the chickens! :)

Great story. I love it. We too have chicks right now and boy don't they grow fast?! Ours haven't had much outdoor time, too cold in Hernando County. So glad you're enjoying them. Just wait though, date night will get better when they're older.

In regards to the apple trick, I like that idea. Somebody told me to try a cabbage and our girls hated it. The apple's such a good idea!

Wonderful biased article in the Florida times union today about chicken owners. Titled "Urban hens often dumped when eggs stop" They spent half the article speaking with a vegan animal rights kook who advocates for a vegan diet. The other half displaying any downside they could find for owning a chicken, no matter most of that same stuff applies to any animal you keep on your property. I'm really disgusted by this article today.
somad.gif

Some choice phrases from the article

"Aside from the eventual drying up of egg production feed shelter and vet bills add up
hmmm that's weird I haven't found a vet yet that treats chickens! and last I checked all those bills were mine not the communities

Another gem, chickens require secure housing...
Well Duh. So do dogs and cats and any other animal your keeping!

This is my favorite I think" Their feed attracts rodents"
Really? And wild bird seed left out in feeders for wild birds does not? I guess rats hate cat and dog food too right?

"Chickens can attract parasites"
Hello captain obvious...Dogs and cats do too.

Then as an aside he tosses in the old" plus there's always a chance that a baby chick turns out to be a rooster"
Well to that I say you can cut your chances by buying auto sexing or pre sexed birds from the hatcheries .

Really I can't believe that this article was on the front page, Ugh!! 1 little paragraph was spent talking to a chicken owner who loved her chickens and used them for eggs and eventually meat.The rest was a mishmash of negativity aimed squarely at the chicken keeping community.

Last edited:
Wonderful biased article in the Florida times union today about chicken owners. They spent half the article speaking with a vegan animal rights kook who advocates for a vegan diet. The other half displaying any downside they could find for owning a chicken, no matter most of that same stuff applies to any animal you keep on your property. I'm really disgusted by this article today.
somad.gif

I did not see that article but have read similar columns throughout the years. Hopefully the animal keepers will see that and radical vegans the lacto - ovum vegans are (to my mind) a small minority with anyone 'on the fence' can see that a 'relationship' with ones food is better than the faceless, mass produced market, fast food fare that so much of the country eats. Admittedly, I still sometimes get a twinge of guilt when I "steal the children" for my breakfast or dinner with a bit of salsa & cheese.
I'm talking about eggs. A percentage chance they are fertile

Last edited:
My hens are treated well, have a large spacious coop clean bedding and nest material and freedom to roam outside on most days.To have someone like the vegan woman in the article generalize that we chicken owners keep them in "battery" cages in the backyard is infuriating.

Back
Top Bottom