FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Quote:
I have never had a problem with the health of chicks that I received from a hatchery. Hatcherys produce thousands of birds each year. They do not have the time to do the selective breeding and culling that SOME of the breeders do that are interested in Show Quality chickens. If you are going to have only 6 chickens and can not have roosters, then show quality should not be your goal.

In reality May 9 is NOT that far away - - -2 months. You could have the birds vaccinated at the hatchery and you would not have to worry about ordering and storing them in the meantime. Plus, you could get all the variety you want from one place.

You are correct - - - you will lose some quality in ordering from hatcheries. However, if you are not breeding or showing birds then it is a mute issue. For instance, It doesn't matter if your marans lays the darkest egg if you are not showing or selling hatching eggs. ALL my hatchery birds have been healthy. My leghorns are not show quality, but they don't miss a beat when it comes to delivering an egg a day. Hatcheries breed for production. This is not a bad thing when you are only going to have 6 hens - -- at the most. Depending on what breeds you pick, that means you might be collecting only 3 eggs a day.

FOWL POX is spread from infected chicken to uninfected chicken through MOSQUITOS. Now you see why this is more of a concern to you in Florida than some of these other diseases.

A lot of the college web sites recommend getting vaccinations only for viruses that are an issue in your area.
You would need to contact your local poultry rep at the dept of Arg. to find out what issues your area has.

Hope this was helpful to you.

Thank you for the info, it was very helpful.

I'd order from a hatchery but for one thing. I really want some Black copper marans, but MPC is sold out.
sad.png
They also don't have any BLRW and they don't sell olive eggers.

Quote:
I have never had a problem with the health of chicks that I received from a hatchery. Hatcherys produce thousands of birds each year. They do not have the time to do the selective breeding and culling that SOME of the breeders do that are interested in Show Quality chickens. If you are going to have only 6 chickens and can not have roosters, then show quality should not be your goal.

In reality May 9 is NOT that far away - - -2 months. You could have the birds vaccinated at the hatchery and you would not have to worry about ordering and storing them in the meantime. Plus, you could get all the variety you want from one place.

You are correct - - - you will lose some quality in ordering from hatcheries. However, if you are not breeding or showing birds then it is a mute issue. For instance, It doesn't matter if your marans lays the darkest egg if you are not showing or selling hatching eggs. ALL my hatchery birds have been healthy. My leghorns are not show quality, but they don't miss a beat when it comes to delivering an egg a day. Hatcheries breed for production. This is not a bad thing when you are only going to have 6 hens - -- at the most. Depending on what breeds you pick, that means you might be collecting only 3 eggs a day.

FOWL POX is spread from infected chicken to uninfected chicken through MOSQUITOS. Now you see why this is more of a concern to you in Florida than some of these other diseases.

A lot of the college web sites recommend getting vaccinations only for viruses that are an issue in your area.
You would need to contact your local poultry rep at the dept of Arg. to find out what issues your area has.

Hope this was helpful to you.

Thank you for the info, it was very helpful.

I'd order from a hatchery but for one thing. I really want some Black copper marans, but MPC is sold out.
sad.png
They also don't have any BLRW and they don't sell olive eggers.

I love both my hatchery girls and my "fancy" private breeder girls. My hatchery girls have tended to be friendlier, but part of this may be due to having been handled more as chicks, as they were purchased as chicks and the others were either bought as a pullet or raised by my broody (although I did try to handle them daily). Those three just started laying, and I'm hoping the get a bit more tame. And yes, those hatchery girls are laying machines! Keep checking my thread for my swap - so far Nava is bringing the BLRW's, I may have some BCM from Sandi, and I will ask Silly Stunt if she has olive eggers, or can bring one from her friend that I got my girl from. Where are you located?
I have had to get rid of five boys so far - all just taken to swaps and given away.

Quote:
Here is my suggestion. . . . contact your local feed stores. They should be starting to carry chicks. SOME, not all, feedstores will do a special order when they place their regular orders. They will add on what you want when they place their orders. This works out great for you - - you don't have to place a min order and you don't have to pay extra shipping. You can still specify pullets and still get vaccines if you want them.

I did that last year for 2 partridge rocks and 2 speckled sussex. I just wanted to try the breeds and see if I liked them. I found out that I totally adore the speckled sussex. So, now I am pursuing breeders of show quality speckled sussex because I want to breed and show them. I STILL have the hatchery girls and have no complaints. They give me eggs just like all the other birds.

My feed store that does special orders gets theirs from Ideal. Your feed store may use another hatchery. You don't pay for them until you pick them up. It was not risky at all.

Black Copper Marans - - - there are many of us with those ( me included) Olive eggers - - are a maran cross with a blue or green egg layer. . . I don't think any hatchery is carring those yet. A lot of your folks with marans will have olive eggers too ( me included). I would start visiting the marans thread. It moves FAST. . . but see who is posting in you area. Watch for a week and I betcha you will find somebody close by to help you out. If you are only gonna have a few chicks / hens . . . try to get them all about the same age. It is just easier to raise them together that way.

welcome Progressive You will find many wonderful helpful people here on the FLorida thread and the forum itself. Theres lots going on here in the state what with the weekly and monthly swaps, county fairs, and 4-h shows I am sure you will find it an interesting time to join. If you have any questions fell free to ask Micki

Hello Chicks in Sun!
frow.gif

I had a friend would lived in St. Pete for years and kept a small flock. She has moved on to bigger pastures now (literally over 7 acres) in Brooksville.
Do tell why it is your dream to move to High Springs one day...
smile.png

ProgressiveHomemaker welcome to our newest Member your name has been changer to # 262
gig.gif

welcome to the florida thread.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Until two years ago, I camped at Ginnie Springs every November with a big group that goes every year. On the way home we would stop in High Springs and walk around for a few hours, get some lunch, etc. I just love it's quaint, old-town vibe. BF is a cave diver, and we toyed with the idea of opening a B and B/ lodge type place there catering to the cave divers that come to all the springs in the area. Which is the other thing I love - all the beautiful springs and rivers in that area. Maybe someday......

Back
Top Bottom