FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

We are in the Orlando area. We have 6 chickens-a silkie, a buff Orpington, a polish, a RIR, a barred rock, and an Ameracauna. They are about 3.5 months old and we are new to chicken keeping.

43AC6828-B198-4BDD-9B72-F806721B86A4.jpeg
7F5A73A8-F221-4161-A2B0-51835CC9E3CE.jpeg
Anyone in/near the West Orange County area? I am looking to re-home a 13 week old polish cockerel. I cannot have a rooster. We got him as a 1-day old chick thinking he was a she. I would like to give him to a good, loving home-to someone who wants and can have a rooster. Please reply if you are interested. Thank you. Here are some pictures. FYI-He has pin feathers on his head that are still opening.

Hi all - Ruskin here!! That's Hillsborough County, south of Tampa. 3 days ago a fox got my beautiful Black Cochin rooster and 2 hens. I'm chickenless. I'm picking myself up, dusting off, drying tears, and expanding the coop. I've been shopping breeds, I like the heavies because I have a lot of open field and hawks. The other predators, well, I've got plans for them. Stepping up my security big-time. Does anyone know breeders from say, Tampa to Sarasota? Thanks!

Don't know about you, but it's getting awful hot...

Hi all - Ruskin here!! That's Hillsborough County, south of Tampa. 3 days ago a fox got my beautiful Black Cochin rooster and 2 hens. I'm chickenless. I'm picking myself up, dusting off, drying tears, and expanding the coop. I've been shopping breeds, I like the heavies because I have a lot of open field and hawks. The other predators, well, I've got plans for them. Stepping up my security big-time. Does anyone know breeders from say, Tampa to Sarasota? Thanks!

Don't know about you, but it's getting awful hot...

So sorry for your loss. I’m just south of you in Parrish. We had heavy losses to a damn fox last year. They are so smart. Our coop and run was Fort Knox, but they were taken in broad daylight while free ranging while we were only a few feet away! Damn Fox was brazen! We’ve lost some to bobcat as well also in broad daylight as soon as we stepped into the house. Tons of Red Tailed Hawks here, but they’ve never bothered our chickens, not even when we’ve had freshly hatched chicks and mama had decided to take them outside the run!

I have many breeds of chickens, but no Cochins. They’re a pretty popular breed, so I’m sure you can find some locally. Have you tried the Buy-Sell-Trade on here or even craigslist?

I bought my chicks from Parrish Hardware! Took home 4 females, but one turned out to be a rooster. He was a gorgeous boy and I loved him:( I caught the fox with my game camera the next night, and dusted some powder in front of the coop door to see what came back - I picked up raccoon prints!! I have never, and I know this is weird, seen a raccoon here. I know they're everywhere, but I'm out at night with the dog and a flashlight! I've got an opossum my dog wants badly, but now it looks like I have 3 predators? I'm on 5 acres, 3 totally wild. Figuring out how to fence off a part for them is giving me fits, because I don't want to have to put in gates for myself where I walk 100 times a day. The plan is to get 25 +/- chicks and start over, but it's serious safety time. The war is on.
My list has a handful of breeds I'd like to try. What kind do you have?

Back
Top Bottom