FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

big_smile.png
Hi, Everybody
big_smile.png

I'm new to BYC, but have been enjoying the site since last summer. I finally got the nerve up to join. Is there anybody here up north in the Florida Panhandle? I'm about 10 minutes north of Destin. Hoping to get advice on good local feed stores and chicken sellers. Have a wonderful weekend!

Hi Velvet!
I'm up in Baker, just west of Crestview. Welcome! As far as feed goes, I use both Tractor Supply and our local privately owned feed store. I would think Freeport would have stores. I had to chuckle when I pictured you just north of Destin...swanky chickens at the beach! I have an extra EE roo if you need one. He's about 21 weeks old, solid white. His only draw back is he has a crooked toe on each foot...it does not impair him in any way, just looks a bit odd. I'm not sure if it's a genetic thing or something that could have been corrected when he hatched. I got him at about 4 weeks and really didn't notice it until much later.
Welcome to the group! Do tell about your flock too :)

get these from two different places....

Jefferspet sells it under the names:

Chick-N-Pox for the young birds under 5 weeks of age:
http://www.jefferspet.com/product.a...k~Livestock+-+Vaccines&crsource=adwords&crkw=

Poxine for the older birds at least 5 weeks of age.
http://www.jefferspet.com/product.a...ck~Livestock+-+Vaccines&crsource=adwords&crkw=

If you give the chick pox first, then you must re-vaccinate around 12 weeks ago with the adult fowl pox vaccine.
This is the way I do it! I vaccinate all my hatches around 1 week of age. Then re-vaccinate around 12 weeks of age.

Here is a you tube video on administering the fowl pox vaccine.
You use a special double prong needle and give the vaccine in the wing, at the crook of the wing, where there are no muscles, veins, or bones.
You have to pluck the feathers in a nickel size area before giving the shot.
It is NOT a normal needle...

I can't think of the name of the second place right now.
It is ran by an actual vet. who offers 24 hour help.

Perhaps, someone can help me out with the name...

get these from two different places....

Jefferspet sells it under the names:

Chick-N-Pox for the young birds under 5 weeks of age:
http://www.jefferspet.com/product.a...k~Livestock+-+Vaccines&crsource=adwords&crkw=

Poxine for the older birds at least 5 weeks of age.
http://www.jefferspet.com/product.a...ck~Livestock+-+Vaccines&crsource=adwords&crkw=

If you give the chick pox first,  then you must re-vaccinate around 12 weeks ago with the adult fowl pox vaccine.
This is the way I do it!  I vaccinate all my hatches around 1 week of age. Then re-vaccinate around 12 weeks of age.

Here is a you tube video on administering the fowl pox vaccine.
You use a special double prong needle and give the vaccine in the wing,  at the crook of the wing,  where there are no muscles, veins, or bones.
You have to pluck the feathers in a nickel size area before giving the shot.
It is NOT a normal needle...

I can't think of the name of the second place right now.
It is ran by an actual vet.  who offers 24 hour help.

Perhaps, someone can help me out with the name...

Is this vaccine expensive and what the disadvantages of it.

My flock was mostly wiped out by predators. Our pens and coops are beefed up and reinforced and electric wire installed. 
Currently, I am looking for pullets that are old enough to go directly outside.
I'm looking for egg layers. I'm not fond of the hybrids, leghorns or Rhode Island reds. I'm not looking for production, just pretty birds that lay pretty eggs.
Anyone in the area have any? I'm "easy" when it comes to different breeds. I would love to drive down and bring them home rather than having them shipped.
I have an order for some of the lovely chicks from Eight Acres Farm, but I need a jump start.
Please let me know what you have and where you are located? I'm down to 3 non laying pullets and a large BR rooster.

:cd

Back
Top Bottom