FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Hi there all!

I'm new to the chicken and duck raising and so far we are loving it! I live in North Port and I'm looking for some other chicken folks!

I also have atleast one rooser that I'm looking to re-home.

Hi there all!

I'm new to the chicken and duck raising and so far we are loving it!  I live in North Port and I'm looking for some other chicken folks! 

I also have atleast one rooser that I'm looking to re-home.
hello and welcome to the additive world of poultry! ! :) To add yourself to the group go to the main page (1st) and on the bottom left you should see the EDIT button "click" find your county and add your name then SAVE button bottom right "click". How you enjoy and learn from the BYC.

So I'm out of sync with planting times... I should have started as soon as "winter" was passed, at latest. Good to know.

You can use the chicken manure as fertilizer? I thought I read somewhere that it was too... something... acidic or something?

And we also have a koi pond. So when I washed out the filters earlier today, that grey water would be good for plants?

Thanks!
You can start anytime depending on if you are growing winter or summer crops. I start my seeds indoors about end of Feb. so they are ready to go to the beds by end of March. Best planting guide ever, in my opinion, is the Farmer's Almanac. Yes, I use full moons, solstices, etc. according to the guides. We have a composter (big barrel on a swivel type turner) that we add our chicken and rabbit poop to along with leaves, top soil, and pine needles. We also have a compost pile that gets turned at least once a week. I also add some lime to settle down the acidic value. In 3 weeks we get some awesome planting medium and use it around the property to replenish the sand with nutrients, refresh soil in the flower beds, shrubs, trees, etc. In the planting bed we leave some barren areas and add the compost medium to that as well or the straw and poop from the critters. We water it all in so it absorbs into the dirt and runs off towards the established veggies. You do have to be careful about how strong the chicken poo is but you adjust and can amend with fresh top soil and lots of water if it is too strong. We have a 2 ft high fencing around the veggie garden and other areas where we have food growing. It keeps the chickens out. This year, we intend to construct a hoop style greenhouse. Oh, yeah. Then I can expand my fodder system.

The koi water is perfect for watering plants but be sure it does not contain a lot of algae as that can be detrimental unless you are putting it where the sun is on the area for at least a few hours or more each day.

I read in a prior post about planting Elephant ears. That is also an idea I had for plantings around the coops but I would want to find the dwarf variety so it doesn't get overgrown.

I live in Pasco County, Spring Hill, on just over an acre zoned AR so I can have chickens legally. I have 3 coops now with 2 new ones being erected this week. My first year in chickens and chicken math took over.....and I should have about 65 when I am done.....I think.....then there's the ducks.....only have 2....so far....LOL

Muscovy I could help you with. Cayuga, not so much. Sorry.

Anyone have a light brahma hen? I think my 8 wk chick may be a roo and my daughter will be devastated. We bought it specifically to replace one we lost last year.

Chicken math: When you decide to get guinea keets to cut down on fire ants, but realize that they just HAVE to be brooded with some more chicks so that they don't learn to bully the chickens later in life...
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom