FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

I deleted all the heading stuff because the formatting was not coming thru correctly. I have highlighted why I think you may be mistaken...I wish you were right cuz I don't intend to have 3000 hens- LOL!

It reads to me that if I sell ANY eggs I fall under the FL Dept of Ag rules (those complicated ones I posted before) but if I have over 3000 hens then I ALSO must comply with the USDA regulations & they aren't even specified in the article.

The very first part of that page is the introduction, copied here:

Florida, individuals selling, offering for sale, or holding for the purpose of sale any number of eggs fall under the jurisdiction and regulations of the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services' (FDACS) Division of Food Safety. Additionally, if you plan to sell eggs for human consumption and your flock size is more than 3,000 layers or you plan to sell eggs wholesale, you will fall under the jurisdiction and regulations of the United States Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Food Safety and Inspection Service. There is a fair amount of confusion regarding the regulations of selling farm fresh eggs. This publication is compiled in an effort to clarify the rules for small farms wishing to sell eggs based on regulations in Florida in 2009. This document provides an overview of the steps necessary to comply with Florida's existing regulations for selling eggs which are overseen by FDACS. The two areas to be discussed are facility minimum standards and the permitting process, including rental facilities, food protection manager certification, packaging, and labeling.

Note that it refers to flocks of more than 3,000 layers and persons planning to sell wholesale.

I deleted all the heading stuff because the formatting was not coming thru correctly. I have highlighted why I think you may be mistaken...I wish you were right cuz I don't intend to have 3000 hens- LOL!

It reads to me that if I sell ANY eggs I fall under the FL Dept of Ag rules (those complicated ones I posted before) but if I have over 3000 hens then I ALSO must comply with the USDA regulations & they aren't even specified in the article.
Is it legal to take a "donation"? I think if someone is "selling" you are required to follow the USDA rules....I could be wrong
idunno.gif

l
Ah, I see where I was confused. Looks like eggs not for human consumption or sold as hatching eggs is the way to go! A call to the extension office Monday morning should clear that up and if not call Ag. and Consumer Services.

Last edited:
I think I've lost my mind-LOL!  I just got 2 new pullets.  An ameraucana/cochin roo over a white leghorn hen.  Should be interesting...I wonder of they are considered EE's?

Here they are: sorry for the bad pix- it was getting dark.

Liberty (pink legs)

Sunny (yellow legs)

Together:

How old are they? Those are some RED combs!

Cmom, I would like to come to your meet. I know you have been at Bent Creek here in J'ville. How long does it take to travel here? And, of course, it would take as long for me to travel there. Thanks, Caroline

I may be bringing a BCM hen. She is about a year old, but hasn't been laying much in the heat.
m
MyTDogs, I just sell kind of under the table to co-workers, friends and family, and to a few customers I met at swaps. I don't advertise anywhere or anything, and I barely keep up. And yes, I'm breaking the law. I figure they have bigger problems to worry about.
I was just wondering about Nava yesterday. Where are you, Nava?

HMM I will let you know Fri if we will be able to come. how much do you need for your girl?

P.S. I may also be looking for a quality blue splash silkie pullet for my Dweezle the sizzle,

Last edited:
How old are they? Those are some RED combs!

OMG! Do NOT go there
th.gif
I already have a nice roo & at least 2 cockerels- one is coming 4 months old, the other is 2 months old along with 3 hatchmates I haven't been able to be sure on the sex yet. Hoping for some pullets
fl.gif
These guys [GIRLS!
big_smile.png
] were given to me as pullets that are about 3 months old. I agree the combs are very red. I was figuring the Leghorn may bring that out...not sure on anything about leghorns except they are a little squirreley.

For instance, I got them home late yesterday evening & quickly put them in chicken jail. I forgot that I had taken off the bird netting from the top of the pen and there was only a cattle panel up there. (HUGE 6x6 holes)
So first thing this am I get up to check on the new babies & there are NO babies
ep.gif
No evidence of a predator or anything disturbed. I ran to the big coop to see if they escaped & went back to be with the other birds...nope. I went in & got my good dog and told her to help find the chickens. we split up & i went round the back of the yard & she went around to the front. On my way I found little Liberty all snuggled in the oak leaves. Once I caught her I couldn't believe how huge her crop was. Filled with lord knows what she scarfed out in the yard. I came round the corner to find my good girl Sprite holding Sunny in the corner right by the chicken jail. So I put Liberty back in & when I tried to get Sunny she freaked & FLEW up to the top of the pen & that's when I realized the netting was off. I finally grabbed her & she bit me very hard several times- no blood though. So I carried her around for a bit to calm her & fed her some meal worms...all the while muttering to myself...ain't nothing free in this life. So now the jail is secure again and I hope the little rascals are out there in the morning since I won't have time to chase than around like today.

Back
Top Bottom