FLORIDA ANYONE?? Please sign on map!

I thought I had posted here, but I guess not. I am in Newberry, right outside of Gainesville. Close to lots of you guys! I have silkies, and bantam frizzled polish. Hopefully to have some chicks in the spring!!
smile.png
Also have a splash 3mo silkie roo for sale if anyone is interested??

Hi all y'all!
I live on acreage that's on the Okaloosa/Walton county lines, north of I-10; east of Crestview. I have a small flock of 50 hens mostly of NHR's, RIR's and Delawares. I keep 50-100 heavy meat cockerels to keep the freezer full and my neighbors asking for more. I also am busy with beekeeping, sausage, salamis and proscuittos. I also do cheese-making both with cow and goat dairy products of different sorts, e.g. yogurt buttermilk feta ricotta quark camembert or whatever else I get a taste for? When I get bored I have a couple of workshops and 1/3 acre garden to tend to and keep the birds out of!
There's a rather deep ,55 ft, spring-fed sink hole on the western edge of my land that I may expand to make a duck pond next year but only if I get bored and need something to do?

Hi I'm in Arcadia close to Ft. Myers and Sarasota. I have silkies, cochins and showgirls.

I make homemade yogurt too, my chickens love it. I want to try my hand at cheese one day soon.

Good Morning Carugoman and Welcome to BYC! Glad you came aboard. Wow, it sounds like you have lots to keep you busy! Sounds real interesting too. I know nothing about cheese making. Do you have your own dairy cows and goats for the milk to make cheese? Have you ever been to a poultry show? There are several coming up soon in FL. The show dates are: Dec 8 at Stuart, FL (Martin Co), Jan. 12 & 13 in Lake City, FL (Columbia Co.), and Jan 26 in Inverness, FL (Citrus Co.) It is always fun to go and see all the cool chickens.

Lisa
smile.png

Hi all y'all!
thanks for the welcome mat. When one lives out in the 'sticks,' one gets to know their neighbors and the neighborhood. I've learned that one doesn't have to raise it all-grow it all to live 12 miles away from the nearest grocery store,( which is a lot different than a supermarket btw.) One neighbor raises dairy goats, another dairy cows, another meat sheep/lamb and so on. I do mostly birds chickens,ducks, geese,pheasant,quail-eggs mostly for sushi bars, turkeys and some exotics mostly macaws and other large hook-bills. Both the cow and goat dairies just sell their milk to distributors. I purchase 200 gallons cow 20 gallons goat milk per week to make the many varied dairy products that I can sell directly. The fresh whey(waste byproduct) is used to curdle fresh cheeses such as cottage,ricotta(re-cooked,) and feta. I also chill the whey overnight to give to my ladies as a protein supplement during heavy egg production or to meat chicks for fast growth. Also the wife uses whey instead of water when baking bread. I don't get around town much let alone go to shows... I lost most of my left leg during that "easy" war called Operation Desert Shield/Storm 16 years ago, (truth be told,I'd do it all over again.) I do what I can and when I can't...I can't! Well it's time to take the bread out of the oven so all y'all take care!

We live in NE fla. (jacksonville beaches) so no chickens at the moment since we live in a rented townhouse in a ghetto neighborhood.

we're in the process of buying a home on an acre a little more north in Fernandina Beach (off island), we're supposed to close on nov 30th, so right now i'm just researching for our future chickens

Hi quadcam79,
Welcome to BYC. Hope everything goes through smooth with the closing. How exciting! What kind of chickens do you think you want to get? Poultry shows are a great place to see many different kinds of chickens. Earlier on this thread, I posted the dates of 3 shows here in FL.

Lisa
smile.png

Quote:
Lisa,

I'm pretty sure i'll get a couple orphingtons, barred rocks, and EE's for layers and as soon as I break down and buy a deep freezer i'll get some frankenchickens (cornish x's) for meat birds
I think i want a few silkies too, just because they look cool.

I also want to get a pair of peafowl, I had though about guineas but the noise would drive me and my neighbors insane

Hi Everyone,

I live in Central FL and it's hard to find anyone to talk to about chickens. The resources aren't that great!

Does anyone have any RIR hens for sale? I have been trying to obtain one, but not many places around here have them. I live in Orlando.

Back
Top Bottom