Flower gardening question

baemiller

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2015
I want some flowers in my yard to brighten in up this year. Last year my chickens ate all of the ones i planted. any suggestions on good flowers to plant that my birds wont eat?

I want some flowers in my yard to brighten in up this year. Last year my chickens ate all of the ones i planted. any suggestions on good flowers to plant that my birds wont eat?

I don't have suggestions on kinds of flowers, but I do have decorative barrels around my yard and plant in them. Sometimes the chickens hop up into them, but often they get ignored.
You can also get low decorative fencing (12-18" high) inexpensively and put your flowers inside them.
I do have plants that attract butterflies, like butterfly plants, bee balm, trumpet vines, and the chickens seem to mostly leave them alone, but nothing is 100%
(Except my one little sheltie, who if I chase chickens from the flower bed, thinks that's his signal for him to put them in their coop.
big_smile.png
)

They will eat most everything. The best thing you could do if you want to keep the flowers out of the beaks is to use pots and watch the chickens closely. Now the other option would be a bed that you can put netting over or fencing around. I have to watch mine like a hawk lol.

I have flower beds and chickens and find the 2 need to be kept apart. What mine wont eat they scratch up. If you can get plants that are tall enough they cannot eat all of it.

I have Rose of Sharon and they seem to survive ok. They bloom a lot with large flowers so are showy. Sunflowers also bloom a lot and are tall as well as coming in a multitude of colors these days.

Make sure whatever you plant is not toxic to chickens just in case. (I lost a hen to a tiny ground cover plant that turned out to be highly toxic)

Roses? Once established, they wouldn't be able to get to the blooms and I can't image the woody stems would be that enticing. BUT they can still dig up the roots.

Back
Top Bottom