I assumed all from scratch!
White cake? Is that a vanilla sponge?
Sorry, I have never heard the term before.

Baking talk tax: everyone out and about except Tassels.
View attachment 3801455
These cake terms are traditional American terms….I learned them from my old Fannie Farmer cookbook.

“White cake” = “Snow cake” — usually no egg yolks, or at most one, with mostly whites used

“Gold cake” = “Yellow cake” — lots of egg yolks, high ratio to whites.

The above are all butter or oil cakes, with leavening.

None is the same as a sponge cake, which traditionally uses no leavening.

So there are exceptions in the color naming scheme, as in a “Daffodil Cake” (“Marble cake”) which is a sponge cake with one half using a bunch of yolks added and that half partially folded into the first (and cheats with cream of tartar) or the “Sunshine Cake” which again is a sponge using a yolk mixture completely folded into a beaten egg whites mixture and no other leavening.
Cooking tax, Spud pullets last October
IMG_0151.png

Heating plate for the brooder suggestions please::?🙏
I have both the Sunbeam heating pad with NO auto shutoff and a small Brinsea plate.

IMPORTANT NOTE! You need to look into the specs of the heating pad as to whether it has an auto shutoff or not. Most models DO have auto shutoff and when I bought mine this model was the only one without.

Sunbeam King-Size Moist/Dry Heating Pad with UltraHeat Technology and 3 Heat Settings (732-500)​

I had a mishap with my heating pad, it was folded/curled under on one side and a chick got herself in there and couldn’t see how to get out? Or fell asleep there and got overheated? It happened sometime in the night, but she was alive when I found her, got her drinking and she seemed fine, but passed a little while later. So the edges need to be off the floor in my opinion, and no tight corners where it comes down. Feeling all guilty about that and then finally having the money to afford it I bought the Brinsea. But I subscribe to the momma heating pad idea, just think it should be formed more like a tilted plate, access on all sides, or at least three sides, and the side that is down needs to be straight down, no wedge possible (but I’m paranoid).

Brinsea EcoGlow Safety 600 Chick & Duckling Brooder
As @RoyalChick said, adjust the legs so that one side is higher than the other, they can go deeper in or further out to get it touching them just right.

Philly died.
Went to check on them and found Philomena died in the top.
This was @notabitail 's chicken from the chickens I take care of.
Looked like she fell off the perch well sleeping. She was right by the perch.
:hit
These are some last pictures of her that I took.
So sorry, you two! :hugs :hugsWhat a shock it must be. I’m so sorry.

These cake terms are traditional American terms….I learned them from my old Fannie Farmer cookbook.

“White cake” = “Snow cake” — usually no egg yolks, or at most one, with mostly whites used

“Gold cake” = “Yellow cake” — lots of egg yolks, high ratio to whites.

The above are all butter or oil cakes, with leavening.

None is the same as a sponge cake, which traditionally uses no leavening.

So there are exceptions in the color naming scheme, as in a “Daffodil Cake” (“Marble cake”) which is a sponge cake with one half using a bunch of yolks added and that half partially folded into the first (and cheats with cream of tartar) or the “Sunshine Cake” which again is a sponge using a yolk mixture completely folded into a beaten egg whites mixture and no other leavening.
Cooking tax, Spud pullets last October
View attachment 3803288
Wow. Thank you on the crash course in cake terminology. I make a number of different kinds of cakes but I am not sure they fit any of those descriptions!

I used to bake a marble cake but that was half chocolate and half vanilla swirled together in a Bundt pan.

So much to learn!

Baking tax: More from the lovely Piglet.
IMG_6060.jpeg
IMG_6059.jpeg

Wow. Thank you on the crash course in cake terminology. I make a number of different kinds of cakes but I am not sure they fit any of those descriptions!

I used to bake a marble cake but that was half chocolate and half vanilla swirled together in a Bundt pan.

So much to learn!

Baking tax: More from the lovely Piglet.
View attachment 3803294View attachment 3803295
All these talks of cake has made me hungry 😊

I have not heard most of the terms, but then most terms for baking would be more of a British nature.

Now I need to go find something sweet and chocolatey 😊

Bernie is very tall. She has very long legs and always stands very erect. A smaller chicken like Piglet can (and indeed has) walked under Bernie between her legs, and she can easily eat scraps off the top of my side table which is a bit over 18" high (everyone else jumps up on the table).

When I finally summoned up the courage to weigh her I was surprised that she didn't weigh more. She is only 5.5lbs.

I think the long legs may have been why she had the paralysis issue when she was a chick - she was growing her leg nerves faster than her supplies of vitamin B2 could keep up!

Tax: Pictures of a young and very leggy Bernie. After her recovery I was so excited she could walk I kept taking pictures of her legs!

View attachment 3803055View attachment 3803056View attachment 3803057
Wow that is leggy! Like the rooster or game bird leggy.

Wow that is leggy! Like the rooster or game bird leggy.
Yes. She is quite rooster-like from what I understand of rooster behavior.
@BY Bob has met her and could help me here.
She stands very upright, she breaks up fights among the junior Princesses, she attacked the hawk that had pinned Pooh to the ground.
And then there are her special relationships. She shows mating behavior to a few favorites - Babs is her main squeeze, but she had a bit of a fling with Pooh. Without getting too graphic it is clearly different from aggression or asserting her position (which nobody challenges).
She is an interesting chicken to be sure!
IMG_5625.jpeg

Yes. She is quite rooster-like from what I understand of rooster behavior.
@BY Bob has met her and could help me here.
She stands very upright, she breaks up fights among the junior Princesses, she attacked the hawk that had pinned Pooh to the ground.
And then there are her special relationships. She shows mating behavior to a few favorites - Babs is her main squeeze, but she had a bit of a fling with Pooh. Without getting too graphic it is clearly different from aggression or asserting her position (which nobody challenges).
She is an interesting chicken to be sure!
View attachment 3803322
Beautiful girl!

Back
Top Bottom