Desertvalleychickens

Spurred by a Cactus Spine
Premium Feather Member
Sep 28, 2020
Indian Wells Valley, CA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello everyone,
Welcome to Desert Cooping! This is the page for the Desert Valley Chickens! All of the @Desertvalleychickens chooks reside here! šŸ 

My Chicken Story:
From 2018, chickens have been my passion. My first flock was made up of sussex and white leghorn hens. Sadly, they got killed by coyotes after one year:hit. My next flock, some of which I still have today (thanks to BYC!) comprised of a Dominique rooster, 3 Buff orpingtons, 4 Barred Rocks, 3 Light Brahmas and a Rhode Island Red.
I then joined Backyard Chickens after a year of keeping that flock. The Rhode Island Red had already died and I needed help to raise more chickens. Backyard Chickens really helped me to learn to get better security on my desert coop and keep the chooks alive. In the next few years I still got 4 deaths due to hawks (:barnie) but I kept on going. I gave my coop security upgrades over the years and now I have a healthy and happy flock to this day. I give much thanks to BYC! :woot:thumbsup

Here are some pics of the newest flock. This was back in August when they were little chicks.

20230703_133509.jpg

20230703_134155.jpg

20230703_133512.jpg

20230703_133515.jpg

Desert Valley Chicken Introductions:

Ijak:

1000004055.jpg

My amazing Dominique roo that has been with me and my flock for 5 years.

Buffy, Cluckie and Onaga:
1000003746.jpg

These are my oldest hens. Buffy is the Buff Orpington, Cluckie is the Light Brahma, and Onaga is the Barred Rock. They have been with me for 6 years, going on to 7 in August 2024. They are the most amazing hens I have ever had, and they all have went broody for a certain period of time. Even though they never hatched an egg, they were determined. I love them!

Onyx:
1000003962.jpg

This is my 1 year old hen, going on to be 2 next August. She is the daughter of Ijak and Cluckie (Dominique X Light Brahma), but she was raised by Onaga's deceased sister, Plum. She was hatched in an incubator along with her 4 brothers that were removed. They were all raised by the then broody Plum. Onyx started to integrate herself into the flock, and now she is #1 in the peck order. I'm sure her mother would be proud, since she was once the alpha hen too.

Storm Chickens:

Stormfeather:
1000004059.jpg

Stormfeather is the new cockerel that I just got last August. He was supposed to be an eighth pullet, but he soon started growing pointed tail feathers a few weeks after. He is currently a teenager at full "hormonal idiot" stage.

Nightfeather and Duskfeather:
1000003737.jpg

2 possible Jersey Giant/Black Australorp sisters. They are at 2nd and 3rd of the youngster pullet peck order, and they are the most curious.

Sheenfeather:
1000003770.jpg

A sister of Duskfeather and Nightfeather, she loves to hop onto my lap and peck at me! šŸ˜‚ She is the most friendly and cooperates well with other chickens.

Tweety:
1000004060.jpg

The last sister of the earlier three, Tweety is kind of shy. She has amber eyes with black flecks in them and she is a bit small, like Onaga.

Amberfeather:
1000004062.jpg

As a sister of Stormfeather, she is very daring and will, at anytime, peck at you. She is at the head of the Pullet peck order and she intends to stay there.

Breezefeather:
1000004066.jpg

A very cautious sister of Amberfeather, she has a tendency to inspect every new thing that happens to be in front of her. She walks around the new thing, letting out a series of high pitched clocks, making the others come and check it out. If it's food, then after a while they will start to peck at it, then gulp it down ravenously!

Sunfeather:

1000004067.jpg

A particularly fluffy, cautious but friendly sister of Breezefeather, she loves to hang out with the other chooks and take dustbaths. She used to be an escape artist but she now stays within her bounds.

Attachments

• 1000003955.jpg
    1000003955.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 1000004060.jpg
    1000004060.jpg
    864.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom