I had to turn the crate upside down because the gaps in the wire under the tray were massive.
Oh, me too. Good point and thanks for mentioning that.

As a dog crate, the bottom just has to support the tray and the dog, and it would be sitting on a floor. As a broody crate, you need to make sure birds can't get out or stuck in an opening.

Heating plate for the brooder suggestions please::?🙏
I use this one. Very happy with it.
Set it so one side is higher than the other so they can choose how close to it to go. Don’t get freaked out that it is only slightly warm to the touch. It seems plenty for the babies.
RentACoop (10" x 10") Chick... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DLCX71P?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Edited to add: I do t use the anti-roosting cone. I cover the top with a cardboard tray with a bit of bedding and as soon as they are big enough to get up there it becomes their favorite hang-out.

The Remembrance Continues

Today we remember Lilly as the groundbreaker she was.

Lilly was the first of our chickens to go and meet Santa. This started a tradition where nearly all of the hens have as their picture taken with Santa and have been featured on our Christmas card.

We were at Tractor Supply picking up something for the ladies and noticed they were offering photos of your pets with Santa. There was not a lot of time left, in fact, just enough time to run home, grab a chicken, and get back. So it was decided that whichever chicken was easiest to grab would be the winning chicken. I figured it would be Maleficent but nope, Lilly walked right up to me like she knew what was going to happen. So off to see Santa we went.

Here she is enjoying the car ride there. It really did seem like she enjoyed the car ride.

The photographer was excited to have a chicken come for a photo but I don't think Santa was. Regardless of Santa's position on this, I think Lilly was quite photogenic. Check out the picture below. It is the centerpiece of our dining room wall of chicken photos.

20240416_085557.jpg

Watching this made me feel better about Tassels. I have been worried that she is not taking in fluids apart from the mash I make for them.
Here I gave her chopped tomatoes, strawberries and frozen blueberries. All have lots of water in them and she seems to be enjoying them.
She also didn’t broody flare at Bernie.
Bernie is asking where her breakfast strawberries are!

Last edited:
The Remembrance Continues

Today we remember Lilly as the groundbreaker she was.

Lilly was the first of our chickens to go and meet Santa. This started a tradition where nearly all of the hens have as their picture taken with Santa and have been featured on our Christmas card.

We were at Tractor Supply picking up something for the ladies and noticed they were offering photos of your pets with Santa. There was not a lot of time left, in fact, just enough time to run home, grab a chicken, and get back. So it was decided that whichever chicken was easiest to grab would be the winning chicken. I figured it would be Maleficent but nope, Lilly walked right up to me like she knew what was going to happen. So off to see Santa we went.

Here she is enjoying the car ride there. It really did seem like she enjoyed the car ride.

The photographer was excited to have a chicken come for a photo but I don't think Santa was. Regardless of Santa's position on this, I think Lilly was quite photogenic. Check out the picture below. It is the centerpiece of our dining room wall of chicken photos.

View attachment 3802776
Who could forget that epic event. I loved the car ride!

Well, I came home to a disappointing situation.
Of the five littles, two have passed. The brooder box was way too cold and only the tough ones survived. (The three yellow fuzz balls)
The other two (BR, And EE ) were sadly gone. Yes I am very sad for several reasons. The deaths of the chicks just adds to my anxiety and depression.
:hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs 😢

Well, I came home to a disappointing situation.
Of the five littles, two have passed. The brooder box was way too cold and only the tough ones survived. (The three yellow fuzz balls)
The other two (BR, And EE ) were sadly gone. Yes I am very sad for several reasons. The deaths of the chicks just adds to my anxiety and depression.
Oh no, damn, that’s really disappointing. I’m sorry. Did they have any heat source at all?

Back
Top Bottom