Sir Jaffar is weakening, but he is still with us. I watch him closely. The others are fine. They have been cooped up for too long. And they made it clear to me that they were not pleased.
As long as you are there they will all be fine, you are eggcellent with their care.

I use this one. Very happy with it.
Set it so one side is higher than the other so they can choose how close to it to go. Don’t get freaked out that it is only slightly warm to the touch. It seems plenty for the babies.
RentACoop (10" x 10") Chick... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DLCX71P?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Edited to add: I do t use the anti-roosting cone. I cover the top with a cardboard tray with a bit of bedding and as soon as they are big enough to get up there it becomes their favorite hang-out.
And launch pad 🥰

Bernie is very large. What does she weigh?
Bernie is very tall. She has very long legs and always stands very erect. A smaller chicken like Piglet can (and indeed has) walked under Bernie between her legs, and she can easily eat scraps off the top of my side table which is a bit over 18" high (everyone else jumps up on the table).

When I finally summoned up the courage to weigh her I was surprised that she didn't weigh more. She is only 5.5lbs.

I think the long legs may have been why she had the paralysis issue when she was a chick - she was growing her leg nerves faster than her supplies of vitamin B2 could keep up!

Tax: Pictures of a young and very leggy Bernie. After her recovery I was so excited she could walk I kept taking pictures of her legs!

IMG_3765.jpeg
IMG_3829.jpeg
IMG_3835.jpeg

The Remembrance Continues

Today we remember Lilly as the groundbreaker she was.

Lilly was the first of our chickens to go and meet Santa. This started a tradition where nearly all of the hens have as their picture taken with Santa and have been featured on our Christmas card.

We were at Tractor Supply picking up something for the ladies and noticed they were offering photos of your pets with Santa. There was not a lot of time left, in fact, just enough time to run home, grab a chicken, and get back. So it was decided that whichever chicken was easiest to grab would be the winning chicken. I figured it would be Maleficent but nope, Lilly walked right up to me like she knew what was going to happen. So off to see Santa we went.

Here she is enjoying the car ride there. It really did seem like she enjoyed the car ride.

The photographer was excited to have a chicken come for a photo but I don't think Santa was. Regardless of Santa's position on this, I think Lilly was quite photogenic. Check out the picture below. It is the centerpiece of our dining room wall of chicken photos.

View attachment 3802776
Oh that was awesome 😊 thanks for sharing!

went to check on them and found philomena died in the top.
This was @notabitail 's chicken from the chickens I take care of.
looked like she fell off the preach well sleeping. she was right by the preach.
:hit
these are some last pictures of her that I took.
The one with the eggs is perfect 💕

Morinth eating some cheese danish yesterday before I gave it to everyone. She seems to look forward to our little cuddle sessions because she trills and settles right into my arms.
View attachment 3802862
View attachment 3802863
View attachment 3802864
The rest of the girls with the tasty layer pellets, alfalfa pellets, and mix birdseed. I even made a mash for my two broody butts. It's hanging a little high for the silkies so I need to find a longer wire or chain. Hubby says he has some heavy carabiners I can use if I can find them.
View attachment 3802872
View attachment 3802873View attachment 3802874
The rest of the hardware for the nest box should be here tomorrow. It'll double their nesting cubicles and there will be plenty of room for chicken nonsense inside haha.

Sorry to hear about the losses. :( sad part of having chickens.
Everyone looks very happy to have those treats 😊 and the nice sunshine.

Bernie is very tall. She has very long legs and always stands very erect. A smaller chicken like Piglet can (and indeed has) walked under Bernie between her legs, and she can easily eat scraps off the top of my side table which is a bit over 18" high (everyone else jumps up on the table).

When I finally summoned up the courage to weigh her I was surprised that she didn't weigh more. She is only 5.5lbs.

I think the long legs may have been why she had the paralysis issue when she was a chick - she was growing her leg nerves faster than her supplies of vitamin B2 could keep up!

Tax: Pictures of a young and very leggy Bernie. After her recovery I was so excited she could walk I kept taking pictures of her legs!

View attachment 3803055View attachment 3803056View attachment 3803057
She always reminded me of a Malay Chicken 💕

Back
Top Bottom