Fly Eggs on Baby Chick! GROSS!

Megan Amber

Songster
6 Years
Mar 13, 2013
Okay so today I discovered that the abandoned for days chicken nest had a chick hatch, Pretty cool, a big fat cochin chick. While I was holding him my brother brought me an egg saying there were fire ants in it and the chick was still alive. I had to perform an emergency hatch and saw that there were tons of fly eggs laid all over the little guys body. I got off as many as I could while getting him hatched. So he is a bit swollen on the bottom where he was attached to the egg so I am letting that heal for a bit but my question is this, there are still some eggs on him, not in clumps any more but still scattered. I am going to remove them but if I miss any will they still hatch? Is there anything I can put on him to ensure that they don't? Thank you all for the help!

Get the stuff the sheep farmers use against fly strike. I do not remember what it is called. Main thing is that the fly has not laid any eggs in the flesh of the chick--otherwise it is fatal if not caught in time. I guess this was 90 minutes ago so perhaps too late. For future reference maybe someone else can add to this.

We see flies around our broody hen--she is just four days from her hatching date--and we're worried. Any advice most welcome.

Oh no! That's awful! I don't thin they are in the skin, I'll have to double check though. Thank you for the help. Pretty sure it was just on, she was still in the shell when it happened.

You could put fly tape up around her. Is there a rotten egg that they are after?

Did your chick survive ? I had one today that took 24 hours to hatch to my horror she has the maggots and had already teen a hole in her neck.. I had to put pressure on the sides of the ho,e to squeeze the nasty things out of the wound. I took her from her mom and brothers and sisters . She has been peeping and seems to be doing ok but not really getting up and moving around

Hi, I realize you are new.

The person who started the thread has not been on since 2015.

If you post in the emergencies thread you will get many informative responses.

Here is a link to that area.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/

There is a solid bar toward the top that says "post a new thread". You will want to use that to start one.

I am sorry I cannot answer the questions you have.

Hi, I realize you are new.

The person who started the thread has not been on since 2015.

If you post in the emergencies thread you will get many informative responses.

Here is a link to that area.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/

There is a solid bar toward the top that says "post a new thread". You will want to use that to start one.

I am sorry I cannot answer the questions you have.
Thank you. I tried for two hours to try to find where to post

Back
Top Bottom