Fly Strike? Please, advice

Charrisse

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 15, 2012
Nashville, Indiana
Ive been searching on here, and it seems alot of the posts regarding this are pretty old.. so maybe there is some newer advice.

When my chick arrived as a 1 day old hatchling, she had pasty butt. I read a post on here that said just rip it off, she will be fine. I did. She was not fine. It scabbed over, and she never grew tail feathers.

Fast forward 4 months later - I have to manually wash her bottom once a week or so to get the built up poo off. Well, we were in Florida for 2 weeks, and I thought she would be OK, Id just wash it when I got back.

I got back yesterday, washed her off today, and there were maggots under the poo, that had burrowed into her skin. I hosed and washed until I thought I had them all, I put her in a brooder box away from the others, and came back to check on her after we returned from a cookout.

Upon closer examination, there was another spot, the same size ABOVE her vent (the other was below) with MORE maggots. I went to work on that one, peroxiding and plucking with tweezers. Probably thirty total from both spots - they are about the size of a silver dollar? They didn't appear to be deep wounds, but more like galled skin from the poo, maybe the flies laid in the pin feathers around the poo, I don't know. The upper area, I found a small burrow hole where I removed about 10 more maggots with tweezers and peroxide.

She was such a good girl thru all this and didn't squawk or flap. I put some healing ointment from the vet on it, that my neighbor used on her hen that was literally nearly ripped in half from a dog, and recovered... and I saw 2 more maggots come out,. I watched it for a another minute, and it seemed all quiet.

I returned her back tot he brooder box, with food water and clean shavings.. I have SWAT on hand to apply tomorrow if that is recommend?

What else should I do?

I feel so bloody horrible. This is all my fault for ripping the pasty butt off when she was a baby, then going to Florida and not having someone come wash her booty. She is such a good sport. Not acting lethargic or sickly at all..

Please? Anyone?

Swat is recommended to prevent flies from getting into wounds.
Good luck.

This morning she is still her normal self, acting fine. Her two spots are scabbed over with a thick hard scab. I do.t see anymore maggot activity. I washed the area, leaving the scabs intact, applied more neosporin and today I added SWAT on top to deter any flies (she is in the brooder, but that's in the coop)
Should I do anything differently? Do I leave the scabs or wash them off?

Leave the scabs intact. They are like nature's band-aids. It sounds like you are doing everything right. Kudos to you for picking all the maggots out. That takes a tough stomach. Hopefully she will recover nicely from this incident.

It was nasty, for sure. I wrapped her in a hand towel in case she flapped her wings (she didn't even try, so sweet and calm) and I held her backwards, hind end over the kitchen sink and just talked soothing to her and I picked them out with my eyebrow tweezers LOL I flushed with peroxide and went back at it, for over an hour till past midnight. Poor sweet girl. My stomach was certainly turning, but I owed it to her.
I should have never took that advice to "rip the pasty butt off" when she was 2 days old. The 3 other babies who had it, I washed it in warm soapy water - but her little butt was the first. ugh. I hope her tail feathers come in after her first molt, and then we wont have the poo build up problem.
My old farmer friend said cull her. To much maintenance washing her bottom daily and taking care of this current problem. NO WAY. There is nothing wrong with her. She lays, she is healthy and sweet. We named her Funny Butt when we realized I messed her tail feathers up and they wernt going to come in.
Meanwhile,
this evening I let her free range with the others (35 in total) and she was as right as rain. I kept an eye on her to make sure no one noticed her slimy butt (it has SWAT on it), no one did. She hopped on the roost with everyone else in her normal spot (I swear they have assigned seats LOL)
Tomorrow, should I just do like I did today? Warm soapy water on the entire area, anti bacterial ointment and more SWAT? Shes dust bathing and doing her normal chicken things - so its not exactly staying "clean" .. is that bad?
Thanks for the input and support guys!

Oh man. A post on here said to just rip it off?? Youch, I can't believe someone would've actually said that.
I wonder if you're going to always have to clean her up from now on?

Yep, I was a noobie pouring thru posts and came across the rip it off suggestion, and I did it only on her.. poor baby. If I have to wash her little hiney as penance the rest of her life, I will. I feel awful every time I see her tail featheess booty. My daughter named her funny butt, and I hope to goodness her tail feathers come in after her first molt.
She has recovered from fly strike and is right as rain. SWAT kept any others from bugging her and she is running around as normal. One scab has fallen off, the other is still there.

Back
Top Bottom