Foal tonight maybe on Foal Cam

ya.gif
woot.gif
jumpy.gif

Quote:
They still cramp as the afterbirth is expelled and everything contracts. Banamine is not recommended as this will mask the pain and do more harm than good.

Quote:
I suspect they are concerned about a malpositioned foal.

I'm reading through the posts here, and although I did not see the process, yes, from what I am reading they had cause for concern and I would have done the same. People need to realize that once a mare starts labor, this is a process that has fairly specific time frames and marker points for progress...if the mare does not stay within those time frames, it can be life threatening. I have had to help two malpositioned foals out, this is not like watching a cow take all day to calf...once a mare's labor starts, things have to make quick progress or the lives of mare, foal or both are in serious trouble. If the mare has had trouble foaling before, that's an even bigger red flag. Nature has designed mares to foal quickly and effectively, especially after the water breaks.

And personally, I don't see the harm in a bunch of people being by the stall, I always invite people over and there's always someone by or in the stall, usually for the baby's first day. We imprint our foals and the mares are well used to being handled and fussed with long before the foal comes out. I have delivered other people's foals the same way and I think it makes for a much better adjusted and socialized foal. Once the foal is out, I let the pair rest awhile and then I hold the foal and instruct others in helping with the imprinting. We do this before and after the foal stands and nurses. I think this has really helped some of the other foals I have helped people with, because they often don't know what to do with babies.

Quote:
LOL...some of them will do that! I had a kid over once to foal-watch for the night, and as soon as she had gotten settled in to the straw in the stall (yes, in with the mare) and opened her book to read, the mare popped her water! She came right over the walkie-talkie to the house saying the mare had popped her water...her mother was saying, well, what does a twelve year old know about how much water, she's probably peeing...well, the kid says it's a five gallon bucket worth, better hurry! And sure enough, we ran down to the barn and a hoof was already coming out! This was one of a few malpositions I have worked with...this was a relatively minor and easy fix, seemed like his other leg wasn't just right and he hung up at the shoulder. A little pushing and straightening and he popped right out. Haven't had any foals for a few years now, I kind of miss it but I sure don't miss the staying up and watching part, and having to have people come in and spell me for a night! It's fun for them but kind of nerve wracking when you go without so much sleep! But that's how I believe in doing things, we never leave a mare to look after herself by herself.

Like you said, you didn't see it.

They literally had eight people IN THE STALL with the mare as soon as the foal was born, six of which were doing nothing. It was cramped to say the least, the mare was anxious and they were increasing the chances of the foal being stepped on. Half the time she couldn't get to her own foal for all the people in the way.

Quote:
Exactly.

I have no problem with people being there, or imprinting. It's a great idea I do it myself.

But when you get eight people in a little stall just standing there watching and the mare is anxious because she can't reach her baby thats a different story.

I'm happy the mare and colt are doing OK. Congratulations to the owners.
I watched the birth, until they decided to milk the mare and bottle feed the foal when it was about 15 minutes old.

Jean

I guess everyone does things differently, and they felt the need to assist with everything. Thats fine. Who are we to tell them they are wrong.
tongue.png

Congratz to them on the new baby.

Back
Top Bottom